Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Simple Gifts

My folks owned and ran a country grocery store just south of Pine Bluff, Arkansas for 40 years. There wasn’t much separation of life and work for us. You walked through a door in our kitchen into the back of the grocery. We knew all the customers, save for the occasional stranger stopping for gas. The regulars consisted mostly of the elderly and working poor. They ran monthly credit accounts and settled on payday or “old-age pension day," as it was known back then. My sister and I perfected our skills in driving by transporting many of them to and from our little store.

Each year about this time, my daddy would order Christmas presents for our customers. One year it might be a bag of assorted nuts, another a box of chocolate covered cherries. When the customers came to the store in December, they would hang around waiting for their present. Sometimes Daddy would pretend to forget and keep them waiting. I thought that was a bit uncalled for, even as a young child. My mother would often chide him for it. He always came through with a smile, though.

Don’t get me wrong, Daddy wasn’t a mean person, just a tad mischievous at times, probably as a result of boredom more than any trace of unkindness. No, he was a generous man. Many is the  time I’ve seen him load a sack with groceries for a family stopping in dire need of food but with no money. When a tornado ravaged our community in 1947, killing 32 people, he gave away the contents of our store to the surviving victims and went bankrupt for a spell.

Now, I think back on it and wonder for how many of those customers, it was the only Christmas present they received. I wonder if they kept it displayed with pride until the 25th arrived. I wonder how many rationed the contents well into the new year, how many may have passed them on to families poorer, even, than they.

Those were different times back then, times when the simplest of gifts might seem a miracle to some family ... times when businesses existed for more than just profits and power.

Trifle, treasure, or
 just the thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment