Friday, August 3, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter 18

To tell the truth, I blamed it on the Navy. First, they had gotten me to smoking three packs of Marlboros a day, depending on which watches I stood. Then they transferred me to a ship where I didn’t know a soul. I ran out of cigarettes on my first midwatch, found I had left a half pack of smokes in my locker, and didn’t know anyone to bum one from. So I just quit. It was December 7, 1968, Pearl Harbor Day on the year of the Tet Offensive.

It wasn’t easy. I kept that half-pack for a month, fearing a backslide. Then, I gave it away, along with my Zippo lighter and a carton missing one pack. The carton had cost me $2.10 in the ship’s store, or 21 cents a pack. I think the price went up later.

That wasn’t all. They—the Navy—used to serve four meals per day. If a person stayed up until midnight, he could have a meal along with the guys going on the Midwatch.

Yeah, I formed a habit of that after I quit smoking. Worse still, they opened a “Geedunk Stand” up for a couple of hours in the morning.

To put it mildly, I was eating like a pot addict by the time I left the sea.

I had ballooned up to 230 pounds, but was enjoying this fantasy that one of the world’s premier goddess might look at me. Not likely. I’d see myself in the mirror and think, “Who are you kidding?”

Beautiful, sexy women judged the outside of a man, not the inside. Or so I thought. I waddled around the apartment complex, watching for the Redhead, or even her twin sister. Sometimes I would catch a glimpse of flowing red hair entering or leaving that pale red Impala. Sometimes I saw her and her friend walk by my window going to my next-door neighbor’s house.

I just watched.

Oh, and speaking of my neighbor, she caught me once coming back from the dumpster. Isn’t it interesting about lines of communication? Ours was the dumpster. If you wanted to catch up on gossip, learn the history of a stranger, or find out where the nearest washeteria was, jut hang out by the dumpster. Help was always available.

It was around 7:00 p.m. one Friday when my neighbor caught me. “Hey,” she said from inside the screen door, “do you like Scotch?”

I looked. She was more or less dressed. She wore a pair of shorts and a man’s shirt, much too small for her. She had buttoned it across her bosom and the buttons were hanging on for dear life. The bottom halves of the shirt flared outwards, revealing a charming navel. This was "fully dressed" in her world.

Someone had given her boss an expensive bottle of scotch whiskey. He gave it to her. “Treat your boyfriend to some actual 12-year old single-malt,” he had said. She didn’t know what that meant and, having no boyfriend, she thought of me.

I said, “Sure,” but I had no idea what the product was either.

“Meet me on the patio,” she said.

I went out on my patio, then around the partition to hers. She had a table set with a Coke for her and the bottle of scotch and a jelly glass for me. I sat and we talked. “I hear you ran into Brenda at the Burger Chef,” she said.

“How do you know that?”

“Not much gets by me around here,” she said. “Don’t do anything you wouldn’t want passed along the ‘Dumpster-Graph,’ or you’ll regret it.” She sipped her Coke. I took a drink of whiskey and swallowed. It was so smooth that I had to stop and make sure I had.

“Did you ask her out?”
 
Brenda or Brendhilda:
both on the feisty side. 
Which one for me?
“No,” I said. “It was in the middle of the Burger Chef and she looked … well, different,” I drained the glass and poured another two fingers.

“What are we going to do with you?” she said. She pointed at the bottle. “Drink that,” she said. “I can’t stand the smell. It must have spoiled being so old and all.”

I drained another glass. The world seemed to be getting level and I was growing more handsome by the minute.

“Here I am,” she said, “the apartment match-maker and I can’t even get this idiot to ask the girl of his dreams for a date.” She threw her arms out in a motion of despair. “Give me patience,” she said. She widened her arms as if in supplication. A button on her shirt popped and sailed into the lawn.

“Okay, okay,” I said, the scotch filling me with self-assurance. “I’ll ask Miss Brenda out. But which one?” 


No comments:

Post a Comment