Sunday, March 24, 2019

Learning about life ...

Some of my life’s best learnings came through adversity, or what seemed to me at the time adversity. Bear with me while I elucidate. Elucidation is a minor talent I possess that, itself, grew from adversity.

Early in my career as an urban planner, I ran afoul of one of the most mean-spirited people ever to emigrate to our state. His name is Paul Greenberg and, at the time, he was the editor of the Pine Bluff Commercial, my hometown newspaper. Because of an innocuous issue, he developed a hatred for our firm, which was doing some work for the city. To adapt a phrase that J. Edgar Hoover used for Bobby Kennedy, nobody hates like Paul Greenberg. Just ask Bill Clinton.

As a result of a year-long series of sometimes personal attacks in his editorials, attacks that tickled my aunts to death and mortified Sainted Mother, I developed a talent when writing. “What talent?” one might ask. It’s not a talent as much as a cautionary instinct, which is to think before I write. I imagine that Paul Greenberg, all full of venom, is watching every word I write. Let’s just say that it helps me proceed with care aforethought.

Adversities related to sports took awhile longer to teach me. But after a series of humiliating experiences, experiences that still contribute to my 3:00 a.m. insomnia attacks, I decided that I would never excel at anything requiring manual dexterity, speed, strength, visual acuity, good reflexes, or basic coordination. It took time, but I even found a girl to date who didn’t regard those traits highly. She was seeing a basketball coach at the time, and I think that the experience of watching a few games while sitting on a hard bench, may have convinced hear that a boring sloth whose main dream was to learn to play the banjo wasn’t the worst deal around.

That brings us to my military service, an issue that I never expected I would have to face. I had suffered asthma as a child and it was well known around Pine Bluff High and Maxine’s Tap Room in Fayetteville, that asthma was the best “no-service” guarantee around. There was this clinic in West Memphis that still held my records, and when LBJ and General William “The Unsuspecting” Westmoreland came for my body, all I had to do was present those records. I was in a nice place, surrounded by friends, and set for the future. “Get your fodder somewhere else, boys.”

Imagine my surprise when I learned that the clinic had since suffered a fire that destroyed many of the records and was run by the son of the original doctor. Imagine my further discomfiture on learning that said son believed that military service was next to spiritual salvation and that any male with a body large enough to receive a bullet who desired to avoid such service deserved to be imprisoned.

No sweat, I’ll join the Navy, avoid combat, see the world, and spend ample amounts of time in the company of beautiful South Pacific ladies wearing Bougainville ear-blossoms and mouthing my name like a Trump moans “money.”

“So long you draftee suckers.”

Well we all know how that turned out. But you know what? I learned a lot in the Navy, some of it even legal. The greatest thing I ever learned was that it is very important that one be happy wherever one is. There is no guarantee that things won’t change, as Baptist preachers like to say, “in the twinkling of an eye.”

It sure did for me, and, when they saw me in uniform, you should have seen all my “friends” scatter like cockroaches in the light. Know what? I’ve been better off without them. It’s just a matter of learning from adversity.


Are you coming or not?
Yeah, I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment