Friday, November 25, 2016

Holidays: 2016

Notes on the beginning of the holiday season, 2016:

I wasn’t in America for most of 1968. I only read about what was happening in “Stars and Stripes.” It sounded bad. Seemed like each week there was a new assassination or a new round of riots or a new recruiting office bombed. My employer—the United States Navy—and my shipmates and I had to deal with the internal tensions created by the mess back home in addition to carrying out our mission. In the midst of it all, an African-American sailor in my unit, the Naval Security Force in Da Nang, was found stabbed to death in a guard tower during the midwatch. I remember thinking, “How tragic, how utterly senseless, cruel, and monumentally tragic, to be sent home in a body bag at the hands of your own shipmate.

After days of lockdown and growing tensions, NCIS apprehended the killer. The murder had resulted from a personal feud between two members of the same ethnic group. A mother met her son’s body at the airport as the result of a disagreement between two Americans. A name is on the wall in Washington, instilled forever in cold black, granite, because one American killed another American during an attack of rage and hatred.

Despite all that, I remember the moment when the sight of land disappeared from beneath the airplane taking us home and seeing, below, nothing but the South China Sea. In an instant, those sparkling blue waters washed away all the fears, anxieties, and turmoils of the last year. We all cheered to be alive and going back to the United States. There were neither races nor colors on the plane at that moment, only Americans. What a great and wonderful feeling.

Maybe it would be a good day for us all to seek that feeling. Anyone tempted to post an incendiary note condemning an entire profession or ethnic group might pass on it for one day. Anyone tempted to fuel the fires of violent passions might just put aside the thought for a day. What a grand day it would be for us all mentally to fly back home to America.

Who knows what I was thinking?
Perhaps I recalled Matthew Arnold:
I, on men's impious uproar hurl'd, 
Think often, as I hear them rave, 
That peace has left the upper world 
And now keeps only in the grave.


No comments:

Post a Comment