Monday, November 28, 2016

Morning Thoughts: November 28, 2016

Going through some files this chilly, rainy morning, I ran across a note I sent, back in 1997 to the late John Woodruff, my longtime friend and editor. Oh, that unleashed some remembrances of things wonderful and good.

Arkansas has produced some fine people over the years, none finer than John. He was a beat reporter for the old Arkansas Gazette before it was killed off in our newspaper war. He then moved over to edit City and Town, the official magazine of the Arkansas Municipal League. There, he was my editor for several years before his death from cancer in 2007.

They’ve named an annual award after him at the League, It has a fancy name but it simply goes to a fine person connected with Arkansas cities.

I had known him for years before he became my editor. In fact, in 1980, we ran a marathon together. We were part of “downtown group,” living in Little Rock’s Quapaw Quarter. As neighbors, we spent many a happy hour in earnest talk aimed at diverting the agonies of long-distance running. That isn’t surprising. Digging out the best in life often requires pain.

In addition to his journalistic skills, John was quite a storyteller. Before cancer took him, he told me once about being a cub reporter for the magnificent Gazette—how he would return from a night meeting and file his piece just before deadline. Then, he and the others would relax at their desks and wait for the old Gazette building on Louisiana Street to begin vibrating as the presses started up for the first edition. He smiled at the thought. As I watch it rain outside, I smile, and can almost feel the building tremble and smell the printer’s ink. One can’t buy a treasure in life like having known John Woodruff.

R.I.P John ...
You aren't forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment