Tuesday, June 26, 2018

My Redacted Life: Another Break

A few more words on Don Zimmerman and then I’ll quit. So many tributes will flow this week about his contributions to cities. An act, though, that stands out in my mind was one involving simple humanity toward another person.

On October 18, 1991, one of our country’s most venerable assets, the Arkansas Gazette newspaper ceased to exist, bought out by a rival. The beat reporter for North Little Rock was an old friend and neighbor of mine (we ran the 1980 Arkansas Marathon together, believe it or not), John Woodruff.

For reasons known only to the owners, John fell prey to the axe and wasn’t retained by the new publication, the Arkansas-Democrat Gazette. This must have been a blow to the man who told me once about the “old days” when he would arrive late from a City Council meeting, file his piece, and sit around the old Gazette building to feel it tremble as the presses began to roll. John was a true journalist of the old school, and one who loved his profession.

In addition, he was a rare talent and one hell of a fine person. Don Zimmerman saw this and hired John to head up communications for the Arkansas Municipal League. That proved to be one of the great marriages in the League’s history.

Not long after, I found myself reporting to my old friend who was now editor of the League’s monthly magazine, City and Town.

I’ll never forget my first submittal. John called me over to the League’s office and handed me a proof. It looked as if someone had dipped a handful of worms in red ink and let them crawl over the sheet.

Part of it was due to bad writing. Part of it was John letting me know who was boss, despite our long friendship. The magazine was no "office rag." but a serious work of journalism. Thereafter, he gave me a lot of latitude, a gift that has continued to this day. I still cherish the long talks we had in his old office on the ground floor. John, like Don, was someone who could make you better by just talking to you.

John later contracted what would be a life-ending cancer. Through his ordeal and ultimate end, Don Zimmerman stuck by John’s side more like a parent than an employer. His short speech at John’s memorial service was eloquent, fitting, and moving.

We will never know how much of Don’s decision to hire John was based on careful analysis of needs and talents, and how much was based on the simple human act of helping rescue another human from the depths of rejection.

Let’s just say it all worked out for the best. Now, each year, an Arkansan who has contributed much to Arkansas cities receives the John Woodruff award, initiated in grateful respect by Don Zimmerman.

Don loved the slogan, Great Cities Make a Great State. I’m sure he would love a companion slogan: Great People make a Great Organization.

At least I think so. Don Zimmerman and John Woodruff proved it. In fact, the entire staff of the Arkansas Municipal League stands as a living witness.



No comments:

Post a Comment