Monday, June 25, 2018

My Redacted life: A break

Sometimes the present invades the past. Sometimes the two merge. I must take the day to mourn the passing of a friend, a good friend. It’s what unmanned me so yesterday.

Don Zimmerman was more than a friend to me. He could be a mentor, story-teller, historian, confidant, and fine boss. Some people pass through your life. He altered mine, for the better, though some would say he didn’t have far to go.

He directed the Arkansas Municipal League for more than 40 years. I guess I first saw him around 1971, and each year thereafter. About 20 years ago, he became my boss. He wasn’t a full-time boss but hired me as a planning consultant for the Municipal League. I would be available to visit cities and help with planning and zoning issues. We also sat through many legislative committee hearings together. And for those 20 years, I’ve written a monthly column on planning issues for the League magazine: City and Town.

It ranks as the most precious part of my long career.

I’ve been free to do additional work for cities wanting to go beyond the one day provided by the League. That made me very successful. I own a huge debt to Don Zimmerman for the friendship and assistance provided over the years.

Don died yesterday, from complications caused by a stroke. He was only a year older than I. Arkansas will never be the same. Arkansas cities have suffered an irretrievable loss. Our cities will suffer the impact of his passing for years.

Don’s achievements transcend my meager abilities of description. One stands out, though. I’m brash enough to think it was among his very favorites, for a number of reasons.

When Ronald Reagan abruptly cut states and cities off from what was known as “General Revenue Sharing” with no plan or policy to soften the blow, our cities faced bankruptcy. They were choosing which police officers and firefighters to cut from the payroll first. Some faced shutting down entirely.

Don, in his typical “let’s fix the problem” frame of mind, helped assemble a bi-partisan (yes, “bi-partisan”—I know it sounds strange these days) coalition that convinced our state legislature to enact a law allowing what was known as the “local option sales tax.”

Many consider the sales tax as regressive, but that isn’t the issue. The issue was that the law saved Arkansas cities and Don Zimmerman left this earth laying justifiable claim to the results.

He left this earth with countless more claims to glory, ones that I’m sure his friends will recount. One obscure accomplishment that won’t make the news is his lifting an obscure urban planning consultant from the depths of obscurity into a position of some minor respect.

For those friends and supporters who believe in a heaven for good people, be assured that Don is there, and already preparing plans to annex the underworld, incorporate it as a city, and straighten it out.

Thanks for everything,
old friend You did well.
.



1 comment: