Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Morning Thoughts: December 27, 2017

During my career operating a consulting firm, I rarely had this week off. City officials, bless their hearts, can and do procrastinate. I thought "it" all quit running downhill when I left the military. Guess what. It got worse. I most often worked between Christmas and New Year’s Day completing last minute requests.

Once, 13 years ago, I seemed to have all the tasks completed when the worst family tragedy we ever experienced shattered the holiday season. Going into the details would only cause undue pain, let’s just say it created a lesson from which we can all benefit: Depression (I'll capitalize it herein) is a serious, serious illness and the word should not be tossed around lightly. In fact, the experience caused me to omit such casual usage in my life as:

“Oh, I’m so depressed today. It’s Monday.”
“That movie was so depressing.”
“I’ve just been so depressed since we got back off vacation.”
“Talking to that person just depresses me to no end.”

I may have “the blues," nostalgia, or what Ernest Hemingway called “the black-ass” but, thanks to “whatever gods may be,” I have never, never, ever suffered clinical depression.

Get the picture?” We trivialize an illness that not only destroys individuals, but also can inflict lasting damage on entire families, even institutions.

Depression is a silent and non-visual sickness. We’re just beginning to understand its true horrors for those affected. Being a malady with hard-to-detect symptoms, Depression creates for the medical world a diametrically opposed difficulty. Some, who see a benefit to blaming failure on something other than the results of person choices, claim the illness falsely. This can create cynicism in the minds of others. At the same time some who truly suffer from it hide it from those about them for fear of shame and bigotry. We know that problem existed only when it manifests its last horrifying communication. 

What can we fortunate ones do? I think, first of all, we must recognize that Depression is truly a reality for many people. Then we must educate ourselves to recognize signs, symptoms, and the necessity for treatment. We must learn the do’s and do-nots of personal interaction, and those can be counter-intuitive.

Our charitable instincts, in fact, may be a detriment. I read somewhere that we may have a small genetic trigger, left over from our distant evolutionary kin, that promoted survival on the savannah. It seems this trigger promotes awareness and diverts complacency. When everything seems most safe, the trigger springs and announces that “no, things aren’t safe, better shift into defensive mode.”

While our charitable side may want to say “Everything is going to be okay,” that may not be the best treatment. Again, we must educate our own selves first.

When I was a young child, my Sainted Mother would, periodically place me on the kitchen table lying on my back with my head hanging over the edge. The inability to raise one’s head in this posture was supposed to be an early sign of polio. Today’s young folks can only imagine the horror that this test entailed.

A man named Jonas Salk developed a vaccine that eliminated the need for such terror. Interestingly enough, he never patented it, believing that more children being saved was more important than money, a strange concept for the times in which we presently live.

Today, education is under attack at all levels. Funds that could be used for research are being diverted first to war, which is perhaps the greatest contributor to Depression ever envisaged. Other funds are being diverted to enrich the lives of those who would seem to have little reason to suffer Depression. But what will happen when so many of these realize that “having it all” will never be enough?

We can only dream of a day when another Jonas Salk will find a universal and effective treatment for depression.



No comments:

Post a Comment