Friday, April 27, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter Two (Cont._5)


After I found a place to park in Downtown Little Rock, I walked over to Capitol Avenue and took a look. Wow. Two new high-rise bank and office buildings graced the street amidst old buildings that still held their charm. One of the new buildings, I was to learn, was called “The Worthen Building” and the other “The Union Building,” both after the banks housed within.

I stood in front of one of the older structures. The sign on front identified it as “The Hall Building” and placed it at 501 East Capitol. That’s where I was headed, to the fifth floor. I had no idea what to expect. A camera shop occupied the ground floor. I made a mental note to stop there on my way out and swung open the heavy door to the  building. I had an appointment to talk to two young men about employment prospects in the greater Little Rock area. Whoop de do.

The lobby was ornately furnished after the old style. I took the elevator to the top floor, then walked out and down a hall to where a partially glassed door bore the words, “Urban Planning and Development Corporation.”

Beneath those words, I read:

Thomas L. Hodges, AIP
James A. Vines, AIP

All of the writing sparkled in gold leaf. It looked mighty high-class to me.

In my only decent set of civilian clothes, and wearing my borrowed tie, I walked in. I mentally rehearsed my lengthy credentials in the unlikely event that we talked long enough for them to come up in conversation.

- I had worked as a lifeguard summers while in college, easily the best job I’ve ever had, albeit somewhat short on retirement prospects.
- I had worked my way through college as a janitor at the Chi Omega sorority house, a “pen and ink” draftsman for the U of A Editorial Service, and part time bartender.
- I had worked one summer for an architectural firm in Monroe, Louisiana.
- I had been trained by the United States Navy to kill people, or at least to keep people from killing me and had spent a year employing said expertise.
- I had been trained by the United States Navy to rig ships, moor them, tie fancy knots, curse and bluster in a salty and seaman-like manner, drink with the best that proud institution had to offer, and drive boats. Along the way, I had held choice jobs due to an innate ability to kiss butts and stay out of the brig.

If that wouldn’t get my name on some fancy-assed door, I didn’t know what would.

I drew a deep breath and walked in, little knowing that my life would never be the same again.

Young, dumb, and full of ... wonder.



No comments:

Post a Comment