Monday, April 1, 2019

My Redacted Life: A milestone ...

Then came that wonderful day.

After my little pal played her trick with taking up my pants two inches (see previous entry) I doubled my efforts toward good health at the Downtown “Y” in Little Rock. The little 30-lap track and I became good friends, though it did tend to make me dizzy.

I added to the distance and put more effort into the “strength and stretch” classes. Then one day …

One day I had little to do after lunch, so I gave it an extra try. Remember that I was a few beats away from a heart attack and over 230 pounds when I entered the gym for the first time, maybe four months ago. I felt good after 20 laps, so guess what?

Yep. I finished a mile. A whole mile. Thirty laps. The big prize. Give the man a cigar.

I couldn’t wait until I got back to the office to call my little pal and tell her the good news. She answered but with a drowsy voice.

“Guess what?” I said.

“I was wondering about that,” she said.

“No,” I said. “Listen to me.”

“I think I may go to the grocery store,” she said.

“I ran a mile today.”

“Momma called and woke me up early.”

“A mile,” I said. “I ran a whole mile without stopping.”

“Daddy said something about going fishing this weekend.”

“Are you listening to me? A mile. I ran a mile without stopping.”

“That’s the most interesting thing.”

“It’s interesting, but it also makes me feel wonderful.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Running a mile. What are you talking about?”

“There’s this one-legged blackbird hopping around in the back yard. I want to watch it. Did you have anything important?”

“No. Watch your blackbird.”

“Thanks.” Click.

It’s nice to have dreams, but best not share them without the proper preparation.

I don't know. It was something
about going several miles to
go fishing this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment