Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Sailing To Oblivium: June 21, 2017

My  personan experience suggests that mixing religion and politics doesn’t work. When I use the Sermon on the Mount as a guide, my candidates lose.

When I consult the 25th Chapter of the Gospel of  Matthew for support, my candidates lose.

When I rely on Matthew 7:12 or Luke 6:31, my candidates lose.

I’ve learned to keep away from the Seventh Chapter, Verse 1, of Matthew as well. Judging others seems to be a sure-fire winner for politicians in our country these days. Not only politicians benefit from it, the so-called evangelist Franklin Graham has used the art of judging others to become a national icon.

Let’s face it. My candidates always lose when the Galilean helps me choose.

I could go to the vengeful, jealous, and ultra-harsh god of the Hebrew Bible and do better, I suppose. In fact, I suspect that some people read about the treatment of the Midianites as recounted in the Book of NumbersChapter 31 (only the virginal girls were spared after the war—given to the Israelite soldiers) and say “Mister we could use a man like Holy Moses again.” It works. Their candidates keep winning.

Maybe I would just do better to base my political decisions on platforms, plans, perspicacity, and past performance. I see far too many of my friends making all their political decisions on one issue that they feel is governed by religious belief. Pardon me if can’t help believing that a one-issue voter is a dangerous American. Prey to charlatans who promise to side with them on that one issue, they fail to see that, while “the trains may be running on time,” so to speak, people are being sent to their destruction, sometimes on those very same trains.

In the long run, I’ll stay friends with the Galilean, but vote, as I see it, for the practitioners of good government over the promisers of perfection.

Where will our chosen path lead?



No comments:

Post a Comment