Thursday, April 26, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter Two: (Cont. _ 4)


So here I was, a mid-twenties vagabond, just released from the military going to a city I knew nothing about and not optimistic at all. An recent acquaintance said he knew two young urban planners who had started a consulting firm in Little Rock. That’s all I knew. More on that later.

It was 1970 and nearing the end of the so-called “Great Society Era.” More on that later.

A bit about me. I had quit smoking two years before. I moved from sometimes three packs a day while overseas (depending on how the six-hour watches fell) to zero cigarettes per day in one four-hour period. Quitting is that easy. You just stop. You don’t use medication. You don’t brag about your efforts. Your don’t do it gradually. You don’t make a big fuss about it. You just goddam quit.

You also get fat if you’re not careful.

I had quit my second day aboard the USS Hunley. Navy ships serve four meals a day, one of them at midnight (Midrats) for those going on, or coming off, watch. Guess who, with a newly found and ravenous appetite availed himself. Yep. Oh, and there was a "Gedunk Bar" on board that stayed open from eight to 12 bells. It specialized in calories and I was a regular.


So I wasn’t the very picture of a modern urban heartthrob as I motored toward Little Rock. Overweight and wearing cheap “civilian” clothes, I probably looked like an applicant for a Fuller Brush job. Oh, I was a handsome devil to those discerning souls who chose to look beyond mere physical appearance into the more meaningful character of a person. (I’ll have more on that later).

I was mentally visiting another planet when I reached the outskirts of Little Rock, When I returned to the actual moment, I was surprised to see two new modern office towers rising above the downtown area, dwarfing a third, the Tower Building. It had been built while I was in college, as part of an urban renewal program.

It struck me, the sight did, not a blinding strike, such as the one Saul of Tarsus experienced on the Road To Damascus, but an eye-opening strike. Here was modern American city in need of a new band of heroes. My eyes opened to new possibilities. Scenes swirled in my head, and none involved the State of California.

I squirmed in my car seat and straightened Daddy’s old “wedding and funeral” tie.

Look out Little Rock.

Look out World.



Tell me more about
urban planning. I'm
terribly interested.




No comments:

Post a Comment