Monday, April 30, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter Two (Cont. _7)


Okay, so I had traveled to Little Rock to visit two young urban planners and find out about job prospects. They knew of none. That’s what I had expected. I should be on my way back to my boyhood home now, with the developing skyline of Little Rock in my rearview mirror. I should be planning my route back to California, this Arkansas caper at its end. Sex, drugs, and cable cars beckoned.

But no. They had invited me to lunch and there I sat, in the Greyhound station waiting for the time to go and meet them. Idled passengers napped, optimistic young ladies in short dresses mingled, children squirmed and bounced, and this entire cross-section of America seemed to sense something better just over the next horizon.

I waited and watched. Over the last four years, I had gotten good at that. One of the young ladies offered to give me anything I wanted if I happened to be interested. A job? Well no, something else. I’m fine. Too bad.

I waited some more. What would we talk about at lunch? I had already confessed to them that I had little to offer a potential employer in terms of experience or skills. I had learned to exist in close quarters with a wide diversity of other people and I knew how to get a job done just in time, not too soon, and not too late. I did share with them that I was anxious to gain experience and skills and was well aware of the fact that I possessed little marketability in the civilian world. In other words, I could be a cheap, but inexperienced date for the right employer.

At last the time came to depart. As the last of the wandering girls headed my way, I stood, winked at her, and walked back out onto Little Rock’s Main Street. It was bustling with folks headed for lunch, or somewhere. I passed the site of the F.W. Woolworth store where, at 11.a.m. March 10, 1960, some 50 brave students from Philander Smith College had marched from campus, were refused service at the whites-only lunch counter, and were arrested for their uppityness.

Things were changing in America, even in Arkansas. I thought this was good and wondered what all the fuss had been about. Of course, though, the United States Navy hadn’t allowed segregated eating facilities since the Truman Administration, way ahead of the curve, as they say today.

A person thinks odd thoughts when alone on a big city street. I began thinking about the various forms of bravery. There was the combat zone kind, the storm at sea kind, and the demanding human rights kind. I didn't think for long though, I was already back at the Hall Building.

The guys didn’t take me to a lunch counter. They took me to a place called “The Capitol Club,” and it was fancy, cloth napkins and the whole bit. I’m sure I looked a bit out of place among all the suits. Jim Vines was even wearing a three-piece one. Tom showed a great deal of self-assurance by wearing a sports coat. Between the two of them, they seemed to know everyone who walked by. I didn’t know a soul.

A waiter came. Tom knew him by name, or seemed to. It was long before the time in Little Rock at which one ordered cocktails at lunch. I watched them closely and when they ordered iced-tea, I did the same. I remembered what a girl friend in college had told me about her mother’s advice to a daughter who had begun dating. “Don’t order the most expensive item on the menu, and don’t order the cheapest. Order something that looks healthy and wouldn’t be difficult to eat in public.

I didn’t have to worry on that account. The Capitol Club offered neither barbecued ribs nor corn on the cob. I ordered the same thing Tom Hodges did. A person couldn’t go wrong that way.

Some small talk ensued as we dined. Jim told a funny story about a planning commission meeting he had attended. Tom asked me about a legendary football player from my home town named James “Jitters” Morgan. I was proud to say I knew him and graduated a year behind him. Turns out Tom had played against him in high school and still remembered the bone-jarring tackles. He asked about a girl he knew from college, and I said I thought she got married and moved away. Too bad, he said, with a far-off look in his eyes.

Was this it? Lunch in a fancy place with small talk? I had begun to assess the time I had left to endure this. Once again, I could hear the ships sounding in San Francisco Bay and hear the seagulls fighting overhead. I took a bite, one that was to prove the most difficult in my life to chew and swallow.

Jim looked at Tom. Tom nodded and looked at me. I took the fork from my mouth and looked back at the two of them.

“We thought,” Jim said, slowly as was his habit when putting a lot of thought into what he said, “that we might offer you a job.”                  

Well I'll swan.


No comments:

Post a Comment