Friday, October 19, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter 36

The week of the wedding finally arrived. I retrieved our wedding rings from layaway and double-checked the honeymoon reservations. Brenda finished her gown as well as the dresses for her mother and her two friends. I washed and waxed the Green Angel, then put out the warning against any disfigurement as part of the ceremony. I made sure my folks knew the way to Lonoke and the church. The girls checked the invitation list, but … what the hell … anybody in Arkansas assumed they were welcome. Things were as complete as we could make them.

The bosses had planned the “bachelor party” for Tuesday. It wasn’t to be as much a party as a gagfest designed to send me off in proper fashion. I can’t even remember the proposed location. It was somewhere in what we would now call “midtown” although it was considered “out west” at the time. I remained a bit dubious, not knowing exactly what was expected of me. But cavorting with one’s bosses was never a bad idea if one minded one’s manners. I decided to make the best of it, succumbing to tradition and all.

My wedding attire lay in readiness. I had bought a new suit for the affair. I might have considered tying the knot in my full Naval regalia, complete with my service ribbons and my beloved bosun’s pipe on a bright white lanyard. Alas, I had given most of my attire away upon separation, assuming that, in the case of a “call back,” it would be Canada for me and no use for uniforms. Anyway, I had also purchased, in a fit of apparent insanity, the ugliest pair of shoes ever placed on the open market. Men wore neckties that matched their clothing in those days, so I checked and determined that I was ready. Bring it on.

We covered the final details. Brenda notified her old boyfriend(s) about what was going to transpire. I had no old girlfriends to notify. I did let some college buddies know and a couple planned to attend. Brenda had her hair styled. I didn’t. I’d had enough of haircuts over the past few years. The girls ran me through the details again. I should have a gift ready for the minister and they specified the exact amount. They designated me to drive, in her car, Brenda to the airport to pick up her Aunt “Pill” and daughter, expected from Chicago the day before the wedding. That about covered it.

Taking the week off I busied myself with chores to keep my mind away from the coming change to my life. I even cleaned the apartment. That’s where we would spend the wedding night before departing for Aspen the next day. Then I made sure I had packed for the trip. The destination rested at 8,000 feet elevation, so attire suitable for August in Arkansas might not suffice. My beloved Pentax Spotmatic camera lay waiting, loaded with film. That still left me with me long days to brood. What had I gotten myself into? I found myself running out of things to keep me busy, so I struggled to maintain equilibrium.

Seeking to redirect my thinking, I began to read a copy Flaubert’s Madam Bovary that I found in a closet. Before long, I decided that wasn’t a good idea so I just stared at the ceiling and thought. I was about to get married and my life was going to change. Oh my.

Then there was this thing coming up on Tuesday evening.

Oh well. We'll
always have Aspen.




No comments:

Post a Comment