Saturday, June 1, 2019

Give Good a Chance

Normally, I don’t comment on social media posts. But … this week one of the cruelest, most insidiously insensitive posts I have seen in ages caused such a foul stench that I would be dishonoring generations of Americans if I didn’t respond. If I offend, so be it. If I offend gratuitously, I apologize in advance. I’ll never apologize to the makers of the meme used in the post, as I feel quite sure that it originated in Russia. That decent, but unwitting, Americans saw fit to post it is a symptom of our current national tragedy.

The meme featured a photo of Colin Kaepernick photoshopped to appear that he was on a landing craft at the invasion of Normandy. The caption read “I’m not going,” or something like that. The retching in my stomach didn’t allow time for careful perusal.

There are so many issues that could be used to denounce this cheap effort to promote hatred. One is that—dear posing person—a person of African-American descent wouldn’t have disembarked with white units at Normandy. They were assigned to “special” units of black soldiers, mostly commanded by white officers, and treated as second-class troops. Despite the discrimination, a million African Americans joined the military during World War II as volunteers or draftees. Another 1.5 million registered for the draft.

When they returned to America, after serving honorably, guess what? They weren’t allowed to buy homes in decent locations as did their white counterparts. They saw little training for decent jobs. Education opportunities were sparse. In short, they failed to receive their fair share of the benefits under the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944 —the G.I. Bill.

Further:

They weren’t allowed to bring their families to many restaurants.

They weren’t allowed to vote in Southern states, a practice now being revived.

Their children faced inferior education in segregated schools, a practice now being revived.

They were even still relegated to balcony seats in many movie theaters throughout America.

These men, many of whom, wore the Purple Heart and Combat Infantry Badge, faced being hauled off buses and beaten on their return, simply for “acting uppity.” Outrage could result in lynching, which Southern states refused to make illegal. While their white comrades kissed women in Times Square following the Allied victories, African-American veterans were denied every form of basic decency imaginable.

The “dis-honorment” did not end with WWII, nor with the Korean War. President Harry Truman saw the injustice, and he did integrate the military. For this, he became one of the most hated men in the country and was hounded from office, albeit while walking out of office on the right side of History.

It hadn’t ended, the injustice, by my time “in the barrel.” I’ve mentioned this before, but I can’t rid myself of the image. After our airliner cleared the massive Da Nang airport, and we saw the blue water of the South China Sea below us, we passengers broke out into applause. It was then that I remember thinking how 15 percent of those in the cabin were not going back to the same America I was, and didn’t share the reason for applauding.
                                                                                                                            
I don’t know if I would have done what Colin Kaepernick did or not. I’m white, and not very brave. There is no way that I could ever know. My friends who posted that noxious meme, and those of you who “liked” it, can never know either. Your distrust of Americans of different color has been carefully honed by false news channels and slogans rolled out by entities that want Americans to hate one another. The only way we can survive this assault on our decency and our country, is to end the poisoning. It’s not hard. We just avoid it. As Shakespeare had Hamlet say to his mother

“Assume a virtue, if you have it not.
That monster, custom, who all sense doth eat,
Of habits devil, is angel yet in this,
That to the use of actions fair and good
He likewise gives a frock or livery
That aptly is put on. Refrain tonight,
And that shall lend a kind of easiness
To the next abstinence; the next more easy;
For use almost can change the stamp of nature.”

Can we at least try?



No comments:

Post a Comment