Saturday, June 29, 2019

Saturday Musings

It’s been mostly about politics lately. Actually, it’s been mostly about hatred of one another. That’s mostly what politics is about these days. It mostly makes me nauseated. Too bad.

I’m trying to take anger out of my leanings. Further, I try to make decisions based on my evaluation of facts and circumstances. That is not always an easy process. Done well, though, it can be a rewarding one.

Social media is all aflame, for example, with opinions as to whether or not true patriots wear flag decals on their lapels. It frankly doesn’t bother me much, although I’ve always found the practice slightly offensive—wearing a flag lapel pin that is. Too many verified scoundrels, hypocrites, draft dodgers, and worthless politicians don them for my liking. It seems to be a cheap way of showing that you can talk the talk without ever having walked the walk.

That said, do I hate people who don’t think like me? No. I don’t think highly of folks who choose opposite paths out of racial, gender, social, or sexual bigotry. But hate them? I’m not allowed to. The Galilean forbids it for one thing. Consider the following.

No long ago, I spent some time in a large room full of people, most of whom, if the research could be done, were related or near related to me. I suspect that the vast majority, maybe 95 percent or more, were good, honest, trustworthy, dependable, and mostly loving people. They were good to their families, hard-working, and kind to their neighbors. There were many former veterans and probably no former felons in the room. Had they known who I was, to a person they would have welcomed me and stood ready to help if I needed them.

As I survived the crowd, the fact settled on me like a cold morning midst. There may not have been another soul in that room who voted for same person I did in the last presidential election.

Do we worship different values? I suspect not many. Do we perceive good and evil differently? I suspect not materially. If we got to know one another well and could discuss politics with empathy and logic, would we end up despising one another? I suspect not.

So what is the damned problem with us Americans these days? I wish I knew. To arrive at my own personal answer, I think I’d better consider my own prejudices first. Here goes.

I am a veteran of the United States Navy, having served in an armed detachment, called Naval Security Forces, in Vietnam. Our president’s party dishonored the service of two people I consider spiritual shipmates, John McCain and John Kerry. It will take some time for me to get over that. Maybe someday. I’ll try.

Someone very close to me was born with a disabling syndrome. The leader of one of two major political parties mocked a man with a similar disability. I’m sorry, but I took that personally.

I’m not what you would call a religious person, but I love some aspects of the Galilean’s story. I believe strongly in the separation of church and state. I find it too easy for the ill-willed among us to highjack religion, so I think its best that we keep it to ourselves and out of the halls of government. That having been said, I use the Sermon on the Mount, as presented in the Gospel of Matthew, as a guide to the moral side of political guidance. Of course, that tilts me toward the progressive side of things.

If I am an expert on anything, it is certain aspects of government and I believe that government can be a positive force for good. That tilts me away from politicians that seek to dismantle our governmental structures.

As one can see, I have my prejudices, but none of them involve flag decals.

I believe we'll make
our Eagle smile again.
 i


1 comment:

  1. In many ways, my friend, our experiences are similar. I, too, wore our nation's uniform in a combat zone, and I reserve for myself the right to feel how I feel about what Max Brantley once called "jingoistic patriotism." While I am no biblical or theological scholar and don't darken a church's doors nearly as much as my parents wish, I, too, believe a portion of Matthew (25:40) speaks to how to live a life of doing no harm.

    ReplyDelete