Thursday, July 4, 2019

For the Fourth

Primal fears invade one’s youth, whether wished for or not. Some come unassisted. For example, I developed a dreadful fear of storms after a tornado ripped through our community in 1947, killing 32 people, including a whole family two miles away, and six young boys at a boxing club the equivalent of two city blocks away, from our home.

People helped with other of my primal fears. They helped plenty. For example, I developed, as a youth, an unnatural fear of death from the efforts of grownups who never tired of telling me of a fearsome old-man figure who lived somewhere beyond the sky. This figure existed, so I was told, constantly, to burn the bodies of kids like me in a pit of fire for eternity if they dared to stray from a mythological shibboleth to which people of our clan ascribed. With the aid of Darwin, Sagan, Dawkins, Hitchens, and countless others, I have practically freed myself of this one, except for a periodic dream invasion.

Then there was the primal fear of authoritarian world-rule by despotic and cruel master lords. In my youthful world this centered on Communism, whatever that was.

To kids like me, it was what they showed us in films of armies, tanks, guns, and rockets paraded in view of a viewing stand where stood vile and warmongering despots who would destroy our beloved America and enslave the survivors. Bear in mind that “survivor” is a mild euphemism for what they would do to the young girls who lived through the holocaust.

These parades were conducted to convey to the world the raw power that awaited the enemies of such fascist regimes. The films of those parades scared the bejeezus out of us.

I’m sorry, but I may not have the same view as of some of you about the fact that my own government is staging such a parade today. Why? To show the enemies of our own fascist elements, perhaps, what terror awaits them.

It scares the bejeezus out of me. It also offends me more than just a little.

As a veteran of the United States Navy, it offends me that our military would be used for the purposes of personal political aggrandizement.

As a veteran of a foreign war in which I served my country, it offends me to think that we are messaging our youth the lie that Independence Day is about war and standing armies, both of which the writers of our Constitution deplored.

As a human being, it offends me because I believe that the relationship between our brain and body sizes (so great, some evolutionists say, that our species must be born prematurely to accommodate it) should lead us to grander and more benign endeavors.

As an urban planner watching the cities of the Arkansas Delta wither and die, it offends me that we are directing our resources to war, threats of war, and demonstrations to our enemies what terrors await them should they not allow us to rule them. Surely, we should spend our money in better ways.

As one who attempts—however feebly—in his daily life to observe The Beatitudes, as enunciated by Christ himself, I am offended that we, as a country, cannot follow this one simple guidance for a blessed life.

Disagree with me if you like. That’s really what Independence Day is about to me: freedom, not fireworks, sport shoes, or one’s hatred of someone or some group outside the shibboleth. Also, it will always remind me of what a great chance America had to become, in the words of the Galilean, “ … the light of the world, a city set on a hill [that] cannot be hid.”

Peace, the best 4th of July blessing I can offer


.



No comments:

Post a Comment