Sunday, July 14, 2019

Theology Time

Perhaps I should call these Sunday morning musings, “Life As the Sermon On the Mount.” There are such beautiful passage within this short sermon that one certainly could form a life’s guidance from it. Even a non-Christian can. Actually, it’s many “Christians” I know who would be best-served to read it. That’s just my opinion, though.

Today, we get to a segment that puzzles me. It’s almost what I would call a “spiritual oxymoron.” For you Ivy League grads, an oxymoron refers to a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. “faith unfaithful kept him falsely true”). I used one yesterday in describing a long-departed friend as having a “simple and complex soul.” I thought it described this person well, but who am I to say?

Back to the Galilean, he puzzles the hell out of me when he gives us the passage recorded in Chapter Six, verses 25-34. Here he is, on the one hand giving us a whole list of concerns in terms of: do, dare, or desist from. On the other hand, he is saying, “Don’t worry about a thing.” Now a real hard-core evangelist might not struggle with that. But, “Don’t worry, just hate anyone who is different” may not work as a life-guide for most of us.

I understand the advice in not allowing worry to destroy our lives. I do. I heard this week something about someone having a “panic attack.” I worry that I might offend, but I place panic attacks in the same category as so-called PTSD. That is to say the malady probably exists, but it is highly over-diagnosed, over-publicized, over-sensationalized, over-used as an excuse for bad behavior, and extremely, extremely rare. Enough said about that.

So, worry can be carried ridiculous extremes. On the other hand, legitimate concerns can save lives, families, neighborhoods, and nations. Had we exercised proper concerns, America might indeed find itself becoming that “shining city on a hill” instead of whatever it is that we are becoming. In fact, the Galilean himself has shared with me that we need to be more concerned about what is happening. He didn’t elaborate, just said, “Ya’ll (he is from Lower Galilee, you know) need to think about what ‘great’ really means.”

Anyway, here’s my take on today's segment of The Sermon on the Mount. The speaker here faces what any public speaker in history faced. That is the need to talk in terms that the average listener can understand. When the “nail” of your message is faith, the hammer of your message must not waiver with thoughts of “what about this or what about that” or “have you considered this or have you considered that?” Those questions are for philosophers and scientists, not messiahs. The question posed on The Mount was a simple and complex one.

A point comes to mind. I worry that I’ve never read, in one sitting, Alfred Lord Tennyson’s magnificent poem In Memoriam, the opus he wrote in memory of his beloved friend Arthur Hallam.  I received an “A” in a graduate-level literature class at the U of A once, after I claimed I had. But that darned thing is too long, obtuse, and crammed with meaning to digest all at once. Like the movie Lawrence of Arabia, I’ve probably absorbed it all in small pieces. Some things are better done that way, like The Sermon itself.

Back to In Memoriam, I particularly love two passages in it. One is when Tennyson cautions the “touchy-feely” crowd against seeking moral guidance from the animal kingdom with, “nature red in tooth and claw.”

The other, and more to the point here, is, “I must lose myself in action lest I wither in despair.”

We can, therefore, take much from this portion of The Sermon, even though we must actively use our heads. Whether we turn to faith, statistics, history, or our own ability to persevere against all odds (here, the history of our African-American brothers and sisters can provide a guide), we can place worry in its proper place.

We must. We owe that much allegiance to a work that contains one of the most beautiful passages ever recorded:

“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.”

Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment