Friday, November 1, 2019

Help

Fiction Friday: First Chapter of a book I've started. Warning: Adult themes

SUNDOWN IN ZION CHAPTER ONE

            The man’s fingers beat a count on his worn jeans. “Myra was the third. No, let’s see, she was the second. I was still a young buck then, just back from the war. Met her in a bar my second night home and she asked me to marry her three days later. She was the impatient type, by God. Always was. I remember she would arch her neck just before I got to the short strokes, and say, ‘Be still for a second.’ Let me move a muscle then and she would light in moaning then screaming and scratching and trying her best to break down the goddam bed and wake up all the neighbors. A few seconds of that and she was done. You’d better be too, brother, ‘cause that was all she wrote. Oh man.” He moved his head back and forth.
            Gideon Nelson turned to catch more, but the man had stopped and was looking at something far away, something that neither of them could see. A man on his left side joined the conversation.
            “I like women,” he said. “Hell, you put them in charge of the government and they’d straighten things out, you bet.” He stopped to take a drag from a cigarette. “I probly wouldn’t be sittin’ here now if a woman had been president in 1968.”
            He was a thin man with long faded hair descending from beneath a cap advertising the First Cavalry with its distinctive horse’s head insignia. He smiled at Nelson, revealing a set of rotten teeth. “Ain’t no woman gonna send a man off to war if she can keep him here takin’ care of her business. Ain’t that right?”
            “Rosealee was the next one,” the man on the right said, before Nelson could respond. “Course by then I wasn’t much good for nothin’ ...”
            Nelson stirred and leaned forward. The three of them were sitting, and a fourth was standing near the main entrance of the Veteran’s Hospital in Little Rock, Arkansas, a monstrous work of architecture comprising four large interconnected octagons and claiming a circulation pattern that had confounded staff and patients alike for nearly 40 years. Its design represented the sort of idea that, much like the events that had shaped the lives of its clientele, seemed good at the time but didn’t stand up well to a cruel reality.
Nelson and the others joined a disparate collection of men and some women, many of them in wheelchairs, some missing limbs, others in bathrobes and pajamas, most only ghastly shadows of those “happy few” who might have crossed the Ruhr, walked away from the frozen Chosin, or stood with Hal Moore in the Ia Drang Valley. Others, like Nelson, could have melted, unnoticed, into any crowd on the street. He looked at his watch. “It’s time,” he said. “You fellas take it easy.”
            “I would say I would take it any way I could get it,” said the main on his left. “But hell, anymore I wouldn’t know what to do with it once’t I took it. What you in for?”
            “Shrapnel,” Nelson said. “Leftover shrapnel.” He rose.
            “Shrapnel,” said the man to his right. “Hell, I got enough of that in me that I can’t even go near a scrap iron yard. Goddam magnet would pick me up like some old junked car. Can’t you see it swingin’ me around with my arms just a’wavin’?” He crossed one thin leg over another and laughed. Nelson smiled. He stretched and started walking away. The standing man nodded but said nothing, just sank deeper into his thin windbreaker. The others resumed their conversation.
            “Ain’t this the ugliest goddam building you ever saw?” said one.
            “It is,” said the other. “But they take damn good care of you. Kinda like Eloise, my fourth. Goddam, that woman was ugly. But boy could she cook. I remarried her once’t cause I missed her cookin’ so bad.”
            “They take good care of us.” said the first. “They’ll fix that old boy up. He looks like a tough ‘un anyway. Did you see them arms?” He stopped. “Good luck,” he yelled, turning toward the entrance, but by this time Nelson was out of earshot.
            Just before he reached the automatic doors of entrance, his cell phone buzzed. He pulled it from his pocket and checked the number. He glanced at his watch, then back at the phone. He entered the building, turned into a quiet hallway to his right and answered the call.
            “Mr. Nelson,” a familiar voice said.
            “Yes.”
            “Mr. Nelson, it’s Martin. Martin Barker, Elvis Barker’s son. Do you remember me?”
            Nelson smiled. “Of course I do. How are you Martin?”
            “I finally talked Dad into letting me call you. Can you talk?”
            “For a moment,” Nelson said. “I’m at the VA hospital.”
            “You okay?”
            “I’m fine. What’s up?”
            “I need help, Mr. Nelson. Dad said I could call you.”
            “Are you in trouble?”
            “Oh no sir,” he said. “Nothing like that. But I got troubles.”
            Nelson furrowed his brow. “I don’t understand. Are you still in school?”
            “Oh yes sir. Still at the Math and Sciences School in Hot Springs. Top of my senior class.”
            “That’s great,” Nelson said. “Elvis is proud?”
            “He’s done everything but put up a neon sign in front of the store. Customers walk in now and yell out, ‘yeah I know about your son’ before he can get started.”
            “Sounds like Elvis,” Nelson said. “What kind of troubles are you having?”
            “Something terrible happened to a friend of mine and you’re the only one I know who might help.”
            “What happened to him? Is he in some kind of trouble?”
            “It’s not a he.” Martin said. “It’s a she, and she got killed.”

Stay Tuned

            

No comments:

Post a Comment