Thursday, December 26, 2019

Resolutions


Doesn’t seem like the day after Christmas. Seems more like a week before New Year’s. Isn’t New Year’s when were supposed to promise to do better? Isn’t making it through the year enough? Must we really give something up? Isn’t that what Lent is for? Let me get back to you on giving things up for Lent.

I remember my days at the gym at the old YMCA in downtown Little Rock. Come the 2nd of Jan., the place was packed. Seems everyone wore new exercise togs, except the old crowd with their faded shorts and their “I’m With Stupid,” tee-shirts. They all formed a dandy crowd. On Jan. 5, it was a crowd minus half-a-dozen. A week later, we saw a crowd minus 20 and by the 30th, it was the same old hollow-eyed OCD crew as before.

Still, I sense I must give up something or take up something. Let’s see.

Oh, I’ll give up watching the Super Bowl since they’re going to feature the dog murderer. No, don’t think that will work. I’ve only watched one of them in my life. That was when Joe Namath and crew defeated the Baltimore Colts. It was a few years ago, I think and was only because I had weekend duty aboard the USS Hunley and it was either watch the game or make “Macnamara Lace” on the fantail. Tough choice.

I could take up baking bread as a hobby. Somehow I don’t think that meets the spirit and intent of the act of “resolutionizing.”

I could redouble my efforts at the local gym. Do more walking while I dream of a Trump-free world. Yeah, that’s it. I can feel my blood pressure rising already.



No comments:

Post a Comment