Sunday, August 18, 2019

Ends and Means

Reading the Sermon on the Mount these days will make the synapses in your brain sizzle if you let it. I tried reading it again and got stuck on the passages contained in Chapter 7, verses 1-6 of the Gospel of Matthew. I’ve mentioned it before, but this time it stuck to me like some sort of theological super-glue.

Consider the part about judging others. Oh boy. We might call it the “Anti-Facebook” gospel. Let’s look at the section in its entirety.

7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. 

I present this in the KJV in honor of the FB poster who said she only read her Bible in the original English.

Some (I won’t call them scholars as most, like me, aren’t’) say he is laying a can of “whup-ass” (I do couch my analysis in strictest of scholarly styles, however,) on the scribes and Pharisees. I tend to see them as “deacons on steroids” so to speak. But he seems to broaden his rebuke to all his listeners and the first verses must make us think. Is he telling us not to judge the actions of the unholy? Is he telling us not eschew the actions of the unholy? Is he actually implying that we might actually use the actions of the unholy for our own purposes?

I think not. Think whatever you wish. The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution that allows us that religious privilege—though under severe attack—still stood “by the dawn’s early light” this morning. I think, getting back to the point, that it is the act of judging those whom we decide are sinners, that galls him.

My Sainted Mother used to paraphrase it as “Sweep around your own door first.”

In a secular example, it’s like some man with a pot belly that hangs over his belt like dough spilling from a skillet referring, in public, to someone else as “fat,”

Some refer to Matthew 7:1-6 as the “most misunderstood portions of scripture.” Again, think what you wish, but, in my experience, this statement (about scripture) almost always leads to a justification of perfidy on the part of the writer. Just ask Joyce Meyer about rich people. I don’t think it is my role to judge what the Galilean wrote. I’m not a “taken out of context” person. I think it is my role to try and figure out what the hell he was talking about.

So I must ask the question, could we take the opening verses of today’s section too far? I ask this after reading and watching about the so-called “Family,” based in Washington D.C. and formerly controlled by a shadowy figure named Doug Coe who seemed bent on adding the coup de grĂ¢ce to that fragile First Amendment I mentioned earlier.’

This secret organization avowedly believes that it is fine to use “political monsters” to promote their brand of religion, which is a severe, right-wing, fundamentalist worship of their concept of Jesus and to influence both our national, and international, politics. This has brought them into partnerships with political monsters such as Muammar Mohammed Abu Minyar Gaddafi and others. “The more horrible the monster, the more useful he is to us,” is their mantra.

Don’t you think that’s carrying this “Do not judge” thing a little too far? I do. That will bring us next to a metaphor I love, and that’s the “pearls before swine” part. Stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment