Monday, October 21, 2019

Being Young

Don’t know why, but I do. I have this pathological inability to say no. My pal Rob Middleton has the same malady, so we both spend a lot of time doing pro bono stuff for our professions. So … nearly a year ago, I acquiesced to a request from an assistant professor at Missouri State University in Springfield to speak to a class in geography/planning.

Of course, I forgotten all about it until an email reminded me that it was to be October 20 (yesterday) and in Mt. View, Arkansas at 11:30. That would put me there the day after a 12-hour bus tour to the sites of the Battle of Helena in 1863 and the following Little Rock Campaign. For those who may not know, that's from far SE Arkansas to far N Arkansas.

Jimmie wept.

But, things started getting better immediately. The World’s Best Travelling Companion, who, herself had just returned from a three-day “girls only” jaunt to NW Arkansas offered to accompany me. We hastily worked out the arrangements.

Things continued to get better when it turned out to be a beautiful Arkansas Fall Day. Traffic was slight and we talked away during the two-hour trip. Got there a little early and parked on the square by the Courthouse, our agreed upon rendezvous point.

I was feeling better by then, due somewhat to memories of escaping from college for a Saturday evenings of folk music with Jimmie Driftwood and crowd on the Courthouse lawn and, much later, afternoons spend picking the banjo in jam sessions with total strangers.

Have I ever mentioned that I love visiting with young folks who want to learn? Well, the group showed, we found a shady pavilion, and I told them about small town planning in Arkansas, to-wit, there ain’t none except what the Arkansas Chapter of our planning association, in conjunction with the Arkansas Political Action Coalition, and the Arkansas Municipal League furnishes.

They were fine folks, these students. They knew about the federal land grants to veterans of the War of 1812 that resulted in the settling of much of the land in North Arkansas. They knew about the great Ian McHarg, the father of GIS, and other things of note and interest. They knew about the relationship between planning and regulating. It always amazes me that, if one gets off social media and talks to actual living, breathing college students, our country’s future looks a lot brighter.

I smiled and had a ball.

After they left, we strolled around, my best pal and I. Went inside a few places that were open purchased some items of course, found a nice Mexican Restaurant, and dined.

I had forgotten how beautiful it is in and around Mountain View. We plan to go back.

Dr. Evans and part of her group.




No comments:

Post a Comment