Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Professionals


Went to a public hearing last evening. For a change, I wasn’t involved, just there for informational purposes. I have no personal interest in the city where it happened. I’m doing some work for them and thought it might prove useful to attend.

The important thing was the man who made the presentation. His name is James Walden and he grew up in Benton, Arkansas. I’ve known him for, maybe, 10 years. He wondered into my office one day, back when I was working full-time. He was coming to Little Rock to attend graduate school and sought part-time work.

Wouldn’t you know it? He was soon working with me full-time and soaking in our profession like a huge sponge. After I sold the company to him, he ran it for a while and then went to one of the largest engineering firms in the South. Now, he’s the planning director for one of the major cities in our state. He had prepared a comprehensive plan for the City of Sherwood, Arkansas while he was still with the engineering firm and came back to present it.

Well. Now I know how if feels to have someone grow past you like William Faulkner did Sherwood Anderson. I feel good about it, if a little humiliated.

Oh well. Maybe if I work hard, I can catch up with him.



No comments:

Post a Comment