Wednesday, January 8, 2020

War

One can certainly get a lot of opinions on world affairs this morning. I’m talking about the condition between the Middle East and America. The most pithy and alarming ones are from the ones who know the least. The most adamant are from folks who have never, nor have their children, nor have their grandchildren, ever served a second in a military uniform of the United States of America.

Now, I’m not like man in the audience I heard recently imply that an author who wrote a very detailed and well-researched account of the debacle at Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War wasn’t qualified to write about war since he had never served in the military. That’s carrying things a bit far in my book.

I find Storm of Steel (Stahlgewittern), the memoir of German officer Ernst Jünger's experiences on the Western Front during the First World War the most terrifying and chilling accounts of war I’ve read. Unfortunately, and this is my opinion only, I found Audie Murphy’s biography of his war experiences disappointing. I did find, however, his acting performance exemplary in the film version of Red Badge of Courage. That’s from the Stephan Crane novel, which many think contains accurate and realistic counts of war. Crane had in fact never been in military combat, constructing scenes from research and what he referred to as skirmishes on the football field.

Now, where was I? Oh, so who to believe concerning the mess we seem to be in? Whom shall we trust o provide us unemotional rational analysis? I’ll tell you whom I don’t trust.

- Fox “news”
- Most opinion writers
- Meme creators, especially those in Russia
- People who think foreign affairs is a simple task

I’ll stick with people who study, people who publish researched pieces, and people who have at least been in a war zone.

To a large extent, I trust the military. Some of the finest people I’ve known either serve, or have served in the military. This includes one present warrior who is one of the finest men I’ve had the privilege to know personally.

We must remain careful, though. Never forget that the United States Army Reserves allowed Tom Cotton in, even made him an officer. The United States Navy Reserve allowed Sean Spicer in. Even made him an officer. The United States Marines allowed Oliver North in, even made him an officer. The Texas Air National Guard allowed (they think maybe) George W. Bush in. Even made him an officer. Oh, and there’s that Air Force general a few years back who made them built an apartment in one of the giant transports and then fly him and his (female) aide around the world, just stopping often enough to refuel. I think they would fuel the plane then as well.

Want any of them deciding which assault-wave your sons, daughters or grandkids will be in when we invade Iran?

Image result for tammy duckworth
We might ask her what she thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment