Sunday, September 15, 2024

EPIPHANY OF THE DAY

 CITIES

Not everyone is as fortunate as I to have worked with our state’s cities for over a half century. I have loved the hum and vibrance of a city since I can remember. I've lived in cities as famous as San Franscisco, as diverse as Little Rock, and small as our current location that serves as "the front porch of the Arkansas Delta."

I've never lost the wonder at the hard work it takes to make a city function as a place for its residents. A place where we can turn a faucet and receive clean water. A place where we can turn a handle to remove wastewater. A place where we can punch a button and receive police or fire protection. A place where we can move effortlessly from location to location. A place where the best of people work to make this all happen. I'm proud of every moment I've spent trying to help.

 It has been a rollercoaster of a ride. I’ve seen highs such as the opening of a new plant that will provide sanitary drinking water to a community. I’ve felt heartbreak when a governing body had to choose between cutting funds for the police, fire, or animal control. But through it all I’ve seen the finest of those among us strive, without rest, to create miracles of operations that allow us to rest “with a full stomach in a warm room.”

That is why I find a political party’s vicious attack on the city and citizens of Springfield, Ohio so unconscionably vulgar and un-American. This is not politics. It is the planting of the seeds of genocide. Those supporting it may someday have to stand in a line being forced to view the eventual results. Let us all hope it never comes that.

Germans Forced To Visit Camps

c

No comments:

Post a Comment