Sunday, May 14, 2017

Reconciliation: Day Eleven

It’s Mother’s Day. Mine died a long time ago, but I still carry some of her teachings with me. Some would rest on one side of the political spectrum and som on the other. I try not to judge.

She carried through life, as did almost all women with similar ancestry and background, the belief that somehow a creator had made the white race superior to others. I’m not sure she would have willingly accepted a man of color as the President of the United States. Of course, I’m not sure she would have willingly accepted a man with multiple divorces either, given some of the things he has said publicly. We can only speculate.

She only ever spoke of two gay men, best as I can remember. One was a former schoolmate, and she considered his behavior more with bemusement than with fear, hatred, or bigotry. The other was Liberace, and I don’t think his sexual orientation mattered much to her. As far as any others, she detested rude behavior more than about anything, including sexual preference.

Oh, and I’ve mentioned before, she had no use for those whom she referred to as “religious fanatics.” Now she wasn’t referring to genuinely religious people. She was referring to those mirthless, meddling, mendacious, merchandisers of hatred and fear, who intruded upon her life, like the unfortunate soul who dared reprimand her because she didn’t send her children to a “revival” on a school night. She watched, late in life, with horror, a beloved relative being taken in by a charlatan TV evangelist. (I know that I repeat myself). I think she would have strangled the man had she ever gotten her hands on him.

She told me the most interesting thing once, when I was distraught about losing a girlfriend. I’ll never forget it. She stopped her ironing and snapped me to attention, as only she, with her five-feet-four  of raw power, could do. Then she said, “Love? Let me tell you something. When I married your daddy, I wasn’t in love with him. I was courted by some much more appealing boys than him. And the von Tungelns were considered a little odd in the community anyway. I married him because I knew if I did, I would never have to go hungry again. I knew he would work. And I knew he would help take care of me.” I wasn’t ever sure how much help she would have needed, but it’s nice to know she felt safe.

She continued. “So, I married him. We sharecropped and picked cotton by day and butchered hogs when we finished. On the weekends he would peddle meat from the back of a panel truck in Pine Bluff. We made enough money to buy a grocery store and struggled with that 14 hours a day. Bessie Shannon said we were so dumb that it took both of us to drink a coca-cola.”

She stopped and made sure I was listening. “Then do you know what happened? I woke up one morning and found out that I worshipped the ground he walked on.”

I’ll never forget that.

So, on Mother’s Day, I recall the one literary passage that I’ve always felt best summed up my sainted mother and her sisters. It is from the Betty Smith novel, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. The author describes the young heroin’s mother and aunt, the Rommely women, trying to survive bitter poverty and despair in a strange city: “They were all slender, frail creatures with wondering eyes and soft fluttery voices [but] they were made out of thin invisible steel.”

If you must have a legacy, that’s not a bad one.

If it turns out there is a heaven,
and if you happen to get there.
Take my advice if you will.
Don't cross this woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment