Friday, May 5, 2017

Reconciliation: Day Two

In thinking about the differences in how I see the world and how that view differs from that of many friends, I realize that sometimes we are pushed too relentlessly by the media and public sentiment. We are pushed hard to choose sides when the facts and issues are so complex that a simple stand is non-productive, if not impossible. It happens, it seems to me, all the time.

For example, let’s choose a currently controversial topic: law enforcement.

I begin by saying that, as an overall belief strategy, I support our police officers. I believe that we all benefit from the thousands upon thousands of brave men and women who patrol our meanest streets while we lie safely abed. If there are cases of malpractice, and there will be, let justice prevail, by all means. But let us consider, calmly I hope, that for every instance of insensitivity, meanness, or worse, there are millions of lonely hours spent guarding us against our most ignoble instincts.

We should support the ones who do that. And while we do, let us strive, without ceasing, to train the best and to weed out those who don’t measure up. To condemn, or even to ignore, an entire profession can never bode well for our country.

I say this, for one reason, because, though never a police officer myself, I do know, first hand, what it is like to spend an extended period of your life in mortal danger for a thankless public. Simple support can provide such a wondrous blessing.

What happens when we don’t support law enforcement? Well, in my state, most cities are experiencing considerable difficulty in hiring and retaining police officers. Low pay is one reason. (We’ll discuss taxes on another day). Another is the loss of prestige we have bestowed upon law enforcement in recent years. I further believe that these two reasons are related.

Back to our choices. Should we turn a blind eye toward any malpractice by a police officer? Certainly not, no more than we should turn away from the malpractice of a physician, an engineer, an attorney, a teacher, or, heaven forbid, an urban planner. But I remember what Alistair Cooke said of H.L. Mencken, that he wrote his scathing and often heartless denouncements of others “in a warm room and on a full stomach.” Do we ever do the same with law enforcement? Could we all just think on that?

In the meantime, couldn’t we choose the side of support and trust? Yes, yes, I know. As a descendent of white, Anglo-Saxon, northern Europeans, I’ve benefited from many breaks not always afforded those of other backgrounds. Based on that, I try to adopt the stance that “to whom much is given, much is expected.” I try not to go out of my way to act a fool. (Please do not bother my wife by asking her for verification).

I backslide. Not long ago my foot became a little heavy on the pedal. Yep. The blue lights started flashing. When the officer approached, I handed him my papers and said, “Sir, you got me fair and square. No excuses.” He laughed and went back to his vehicle to call in and make sure I hadn’t just escaped from Attica. I sat chewing out myself—not him—up one side and then the other.

When he returned, he laughed, handed me my papers and said, “In all my, career, I’ve never had anyone say that. Now get out of here and keep it safe.” It may not always work, but it sure beats the hell out of being a smart-ass and giving someone a cursing for doing a thankless job.

We are free to choose one side and hate the other if we wish. I think I'll choose to assume the best and resist the worst.


It just seems to me…

No comments:

Post a Comment