Saturday, October 21, 2017

Don't Get Me Started: October 21, 2017

I’m the world’s worst at purchasing a power tool that existed as a model for a week and then discontinued. It once was the very best. The salesperson said so. “Our most popular model. They’re selling like hotcakes. In fact, that’s our last one and someone is supposed to be coming back for it later this afternoon.”

But … there was hope.

“If you think you want it, I’ll see if the manager will let me sell it to you. We can order the other guy one, although I think they’re back-ordered everywhere, a real popular model.”

A few years later, and how the conversation has changed.

“I don’t see that model listed. Are you sure it’s an Acme?”

“Yes, I’m sure it’s a *#!%$^& Acme. It has the word ‘Acme’ right across the front of it, with a picture of a smiling Wiley Coyote.”

“I don’t see the number. We have a model number right in front of the one you say, and a model number right behind it. Nobody here has ever heard of your model number.”

“Are you sure?”

“Quite, and I can assure you that we don’t sell the part you are looking for. They went to a intralinkedgyrosynchronized system about that time. Have you tried eBay?

“Oh, yes. I found one on eBay.”

“Well there you go.”

“For two hundred, thirty-eight dollars and forty-five cents, plus twenty dollars shipping.”

“You could make a down payment on our latest model, the D4507 for that. It’s the industry standard, and I think we have one left. They are selling like hotcakes. Sir … please put down that crowbar.”

Is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment