Sunday, October 15, 2017

Morning Toughts: October 15, 2017

Sunday morning always makes me think of the Galilean for some reason. I know he isn’t fashionable in many circles now. In fact, some famous lines with which he is credited may, themselves, be in mortal danger.

Are some so-called “Christians” so enraged by the sermon on the mount that they would have it redacted it from their official version of the Bible? Do the Beatitudes in particular make them uncomfortable? Seems that way to me.

I would imagine there are those, today in particular, who are wanting to cut out the line where the Galilean said, “"It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.” That’s surely an embarrassment. Of course, the Galilean goes on to say he’s not coming after the righteous, but the sinners. I would imagine his first stop if he should return this year would be Washington D.C.

Because of the situation in Puerto Rico, some might want to excise this portion of Matthew 25:

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was hungry, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

And:

Would the “Judge not …” section be removed?

Would the “render unto Caesar …” part be gone?

What about the admonition to “love one another?”

We certainly could do without the “let those who are without sin cast the first stone.”

What about that ridiculous suggestion that “if you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven?” That one won’t survive with the “Prosperity Gospel” crowd.


It would surely be more fun to pick and choose what quotes we would pay attention to.

Just thinking …
dd caption

No comments:

Post a Comment