Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Morning Thoughts: October 10, 2017

When my sainted mother used to get really, really tired of us kids, she’d say, “I think I’ll just go live in the woods by myself.” Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it just puzzled us. How would she get back from out in the woods every day in time to cook our breakfast? There were sure to be problems in logistics, and we told her so. That didn't help.

The threat didn’t seem to upset our dad. He would just say, “Ya’ll would be satisfied then, wouldn’t you?"

I’m beginning to understand dear old mom a little better these days. If the world gets any more complicated, I may consider a little cabin somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.

Somewhere I don’t have to deal with the fact that, although I haven’t applied for a loan in nearly 15 years and don't expect to ever do so again, I find that something called my “credit score” has been hacked, and it’s probably going to end up costing me money.

Somewhere I don’t have to deal with a charge-card company that doesn’t list “replace a worn-out card with a new one” as a choice on its “press a number” phone service system.”

Somewhere I’m not required to think up ever increasingly complicated passwords only to find my account locked when I miss a word or symbol.

Somewhere I can eat supper without receiving 15 robo-calls.

Somewhere cell phones only allow you to phone someone and talk to them.

Somewhere the purchase of a new car doesn’t come with an offer to attend a Saturday seminar to learn how to operate it.

Somewhere there are grocery stores that offer a variety of goods instead of 400 different types of toothpaste and 300 types of toilet paper.

Somewhere both hyperbole and gratuitous exaggeration are outlawed.

Somewhere Halloween is pretty much just one night for kids and not a month-long decorating contest for adults.

Somewhere a teenager can be jailed for something called "Walking under the influence of a hand-held device" if there is collision involving injuries.

And finally …

Somewhere folks don’t elect goofballs to public office.

Don't get me started.



No comments:

Post a Comment