Monday, September 4, 2017

Growing Up Southern: September 4, 2017

Labor Day. Work, jobs, good jobs, bad jobs, I’ve had a few. Some I liked. A few I hated. One I wouldn’t do again but I’m glad I did it, now at least.

The first was helping on a milk truck. My mother woke me up at 1:30 a.m. and the milkman/boss picked me up thirty minutes later. I was 11 years old, if I remember correctly. The boss was nice but the job pretty much sucked. The scariest part was when we parked on a street and I had to walk half a block down a dark alley at three in the morning. Then I climbed through a hole in a board fence and crossed a yard. I would leave two quarts of milk (the old-fashioned kind in bottles) on the back porch of a Catholic Church and run like hell.

The thought of encountering a nun scared the bejeezus out of me. So, I fled when my mission was accomplished. Then one day we were delayed by engine trouble and I didn’t make the delivery until after sunrise. Wouldn’t you know it? There stood a nun on the back porch. She gave me the sweetest smile this side of Heaven and I gave her the milk. I wasn’t afraid after that.

Probably the best job I ever had was as a lifeguard at a country club during summers while attending college. I won’t go into the details as to why. One splendiferous thing about it was that a frequent sunbather was Sandy Seymour, now Sandy Seymore Elder. She was girl of word-class beauty and poise—nice, friendly, and without pretense or guile. A model American teenager, much too young and classy for the likes of me, her presence alone was one of those things that can make a job memorable. I was proud to count her as an acquaintance then and a FB friend now. (Not that my wife isn't classy, I simply overmarried).

From beauty to the beasts, I worked for one evening serving meals at the athletic dormitory at the University of Arkansas. Enough said. Even a college degree wouldn’t have been worth that.

From the beasts to the beauties, I left the pigs to work as a janitor and busboy at the Chi Omega sorority house. Enough said. There were pleasant memories, all in all.

Worked for nearly a year for Babcock and Wilcox’s San Francisco office in the Mission District while waiting for the Draft Board to catch up with me. I spent one interesting week working with an older man organizing some records in a nearby warehouse. Some dealt with boilers that had been destroyed during the 1906 earthquake.

The man with me lived in San Jose and told me of a neighbor who, along with his family, learned that they were to be relocated to a prison camp, for being of Japanese descent, after Pearl Harbor. His son was in college and his daughter was headed for Stanford. He held a good job.

He committed suicide rather than face the shame. My co-worker cried when he told me the story.

Well, we now come to the last job I had before beginning my professional career. That was driving the Admiral of a submarine flotilla around Charleston harbor in his boat, called “The Admiral’s Barge.” Not a bad gig except when we had to take the Old Man (a real old man he was too, probably near 50) out to the entrance to the harbor to meet a sub coming in from patrol. I’d have to ease the boat between the sail planes and the stern planes of the sub while we were all underway. Sailors on the sub would secure us and the Admiral would jump off the barge and climb on board the sub. It wasn’t “anchors aweigh as much as sphincters compressed,” probably more so on the submarine commander’s part than mine.

I never dumped him, and as a reward, the crew and I would get to take the Admiral’s wife and some wives of visiting dignitaries to visit Fort Sumter. She would bring along a servant who served them chilled chicken, wine or beer, and other delicacies.

She must have known that I was well-schooled in military protocol, for she would say, as we deposited them before heading back to our ship, “Now Boats, I’m sure you know how properly to dispose of the wine, beer, leftover food.”

We did. That’s what anchors and secluded spots along the Cooper River are for.

America would sleep well that night.



No comments:

Post a Comment