Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Sailing To Oblivium: September 27, 2017

Perhaps the unkindest cut for me as a Vietnam veteran came from my own beloved United States Navy. It still hurts.

Like many of my shipmates, I requested duty in the East coast navy following my tour “in-country.” I had no idea what a mistake I’d made.

When I checked on board the USS Hunley in Charleston, South Carolina, I was struck by something. There were lifers on the ship with years of active duty that maybe only sported a “Geedunk Ribbon,” (you got that for joining while there was a war going on) and maybe a Good Conduct Ribbon, (you got that for not getting caught at anything).

I checked aboard with another sailor just getting back from “Nam.” I had four ribbons, two reflecting Vietnam duty, the Gedunk, and a unit commendation. He had those plus a Purple Heart, evidenced by purple splotches up his arm from shrapnel taken while aboard a supply boat.

It’s hard to imagine what we expect, but it sure wasn’t what we got. While they were assigning reservists and Seaman Apprentices to meaningful jobs, they sent us to “mess-cooking,” the most demeaning job on the ship, sort of a permanent KP. The job was normally filled by men straight out of boot camp, or screw-ups.

I’ll never forget the first meal we worked serving food to the others. Steam was flowing around my shipmate’s bare arms, the scars growing more purple from the heat.

It didn’t bother me much at the time. I had long-since ceased to expect or offer respect. It had to bother him a bit, but he never protested. One of the other sailors who came aboard after Vietnam duty did make the mistake of complaining about being assigned to the crappiest duty on the ship after a year in a war zone. The personnel officer was happy to explain.

“You goddam guys from Vietnam come aboard thinking you are so high and mighty, we want to put you in your place.” It wouldn't be the last time we suffered aboard that ship for our past sins of duty.

Anchors aweigh.

Just remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment