Monday, May 21, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter Three (Cont._10


I finished the first week of my new job back in 1971, and settled in. Want to know about my love life? There, that sums it up. Nonexistent. On the positive side, it gave me more time to study my adopted profession. I read a lot too, encountering fewer entanglements that way.

There were two women who shared an apartment across the hall. They both worked at Timex Corporation, a large concern that graced the city back when low-skilled jobs were available in the South. One was rather thin and possessed of more inner than outer beauty. The other was ample and possessed a wholesome “stay-away” attitude. Neither seemed overly impressed with my physique, and since we all thrived on scarcity, we became friends without benefits other than cordial conversations.

There was a third woman who lived downstairs, a very attractive person, but lacking a great deal of education. She worked with the other two. They say she was taking night courses at the local college, but before I got to know her, she disappeared. After awhile, the girls told me that she had trusted a supervisor at the plant once too often. He chose to stay married, and she returned to her hometown in the Arkansas Delta. There was a shoe factory there at the time. Maybe she found work therein, but it closed not long after. What happens to such individuals? I wish I knew.

Payday came, and with a small supplement withdrawn from savings, I managed. For the first time in years, I established a routine that wasn’t totally mandated by higher authorities. Tom gave me a key to the office, and I made a decision that would greatly affect both my career and my future.

For the foreseeable future, I mandated to myself that, on normal work days, no one in the company would ever see me get to work, and no one would ever see me leave. You would be amazed at the outcome.

It really wasn’t that hard. No one arrived before 8:00 a.m., so I didn’t have to rush. We usually worked late, but I would simply remain when the others left. On some days, my total sacrifice was less than 45 minutes, but it made me a legend.

I always arrived in time to visit the snack area on the ground floor of the building. It was one of those stands officially known as vending areas established by World Services for the Blind, an institute located in Little Rock. They were operated by visually-challenged folks and known irreverently by a term that would make the Political Correctness Police sail into orbit, “blind stands.” At least that’s all I ever heard them called.

The counter contained a sunken metal bowl where one placed money. The operators could count change like a carnival barker at a striptease show, but only by feel. They say some could tell the difference among paper bills of differing denominations, but I never put that to the test. I seem to remember the operator in our building was named Carl. I’m not quite sure. He was a jolly character who, in addition to selling goods, also served as “gossip-central.” He could tell you by your footsteps, and phrase his daily report accordingly.

The only time I ever remember him and me having a problem with communications, was when he was trying to tell me about a ne’er-do-well tenant who was suffering from “the collapse.” A stroke? No. Muscle problems? No. Back or knee problems? No. After much back and forth banter, we came to the understanding that the poor fellow had “dillyed” with the wrong “dally” and would be back at work following a round of penicillin, a moral lesson from which to be instructed, both in communication and behavior.

I’d buy a breakfast snack, a cup of coffee, and the daily newspaper: the grand old Arkansas Gazette. Then I would go upstairs and prepare to continue my new career.

Life was good. To borrow a line from Dylan Thomas, someone who knew me then would say of those days, “He was almost always happy, I think.”



No comments:

Post a Comment