Wednesday, May 9, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter Three (Cont._2)


My first day of work at my new civilian job began quietly on the morning of January 4, 1971. The bosses hadn’t arrived by eight o’clock. One, the president Tom Hodges, was off on trip somewhere. The vice-president, Jim Vines, did not generally arrive until later. The other employees ignored me.

Except for the receptionist, she got me a cup of coffee and led me to a small office desk that had been squeezed into a corner of the drafting room. Two drafting tables faced opposite walls of the room with a larger layout table and map files between them. The receptionist asked if I wanted to read the morning’s newspaper while I waited for Jim to arrive and provide further guidance. Four years of military regimen caused me to tremble at the thought. Read the paper at work?

I told her I would look at one of the firm’s publications that was lying on the layout table. She nodded and left. I took the document and sat. On its cover I read, “Comprehensive Plan – Hope Arkansas.” It was the first of such documents I had ever seen in my life, all snazzily set in green ink on soft-colored paper. Large colored maps were folded neatly within the pages. I began to read.

I hadn’t moved past the third page when I detected a typographical error. It presented a simple misspelling, not the “mistake of doom.” The latter, I was to discover, was the fatal mistake of typing the name of the wrong city into another city’s document. There was a lot of what they described as “boiler plating,” in planning documents back then. That’s an expression from the printing world, referring to language that is standard enough to need to be repeated constantly and often with no editing. In planning, it offered ample opportunity for the names of cities to be switched, the deadly sin. Simple typos, such as this one, just indicted sloppy work.

At any rate, it presented a dilemma. On my first day at work, should I point out an error that I had detected in less than fifteen minutes on the job? It sounded cheeky. On the other hand, this was my workplace now and I must assume ownership of the bad as well as the good. I had accustomed myself to the military approach of kicking blame for mistakes upward or downward, never simply sitting on them and waiting for them to hatch.

The man beside me interrupted my wonderings as the lifted his drafting pen carefully, swiveled around on his stool and asked, “Did you find a place to park without any trouble?

“Park?”

“Where did you park your car?”

“Oh,” I said, “I walked to work.”

“You what?”

“I walked to work. I just live a little way up toward the Capitol.”

“You walked to work?”

“I did, yes.”

“You don’t own a car?”

“Oh,” I said. “I do. It’s just more fun to walk, and I need the exercise. I gained some weight when I quit …”

He interrupted by swiveling his chair and yelling across the room. “Hey, Paulette, did you hear that? He walked to work.”

She swiveled around in her chair, apparently not having been listening to us. “You walked to work?” she said, knitting her eyebrows.”

“Yes.”

“Don’t you own a car?”

“Yes, but I walked.”

“Harrumph,” she observed, and swiveled back to her work.

“I bought me a new car,” the man said, “when they put me in charge back here.” And he swiveled back to his work.

With some difficulty, I swallowed what would have been a perfectly erudite and appropriate response in my previous life, “Why don’t ya’ll just swivel around here and kiss my military ass?”

Instead, I stared ahead, dumbfounded. This entry into the new world wasn’t going to be as seamless as I had thought.

Wonderment never ceases.


No comments:

Post a Comment