Friday, May 11, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter Three (Cont._4)

Somehow, I made it through the first day at my new job. One of the drafters invited me to walk across the street into what was then the Worthen Bank Building and lunch at a place there. Not bad, a little pricey for me, but I was trying to make friends. I hadn’t thought before about how having one’s meals provided seven days a week helped manage a budget.

Anyway, I learned that my new workmate had worked with Tom Hodges at another firm. When Tom left to start a new company with Jim Vines, the drafter left with him. I understood, then, his suspicions about me. He had made a great gamble leaving a secure job on a bet that he would become a “key player” in the new firm. Hell, I would have disliked me too.

Jim told me to spend the afternoon reading stuff they had done. Tom came in about mid-afternoon, or should I say he “blew” in, resembling a controlled cyclone. He stormed through drafting room, checked on the work, came to me, and asked if I was getting along all right. I said yes. He nodded and disappeared into his office. I noticed the two drafters looking at one another with what I could only imagine as fear in their eyes. I would discover why, later though.

Five o’clock came. Nobody moved to leave. I continued to read. Jim had come by about four and we made plans for him to pick me up next morning, all ready for an overnight trip. At last, I vouchsafed it safe to leave. No one stopped me.

I walked home on the right (north) side of Capitol Avenue. Of course, directly across the street was the Worthen high-rise. Men with briefcases in hand, and women in nice short skirts were pouring out as if there might have been a fire alarm. I dodged them and headed west.

Crossing Center Street, I encountered a restaurant called The Volkshouse. I would soon learn that it featured German beer and a Polish-sausage sandwich that I remember with a loving tremble. The building still stands. The restaurant gave way to a real estate firm and, later, to a bank that remains until this day.

On the next block was a movie theater, the Capitol. It was to play a part in my life, more on that later.

On the northeast corner of Broadway and Capitol was a charming Jewish synagogue, soon to be demolished to make way for another high-rise bank and office building. Near it was what the the closest thing to a local phenomenon, in fast food restaurant, that Little Rock has known, The Minute Man restaurant, created by a man named Wes Hall. It endured for years, along with other franchises, before it sank beneath the waters of changing tastes. They’ve put a plaque on the present building where the original outlet stood. Plaques soften the pain that lasts from history lost forever, I suppose.

Then there was the Federal Building and main U.S. Post Office, the marvelous lobby of which has somehow endured decades of dreadful “plastic-architecture” additions and renewals.

Soon I was home, and the loneliness of my new life set in. Not really. I could miss the camaraderie of shipmates tossing off a few beers while “on the beach,” but I had a volume of T.S. Eliot’s poetry to keep me company, along with some dense and turgid volumes about urban planning. Incomprehensible or unreadable, I could choose.

Anchors aweigh!

Morning came. Capitol Avenue came alive. I showered and dressed. I made a cup of instant coffee and packed a change of clothes while I choked down the noxious liquid. Soon I was sitting on the steps of the handsome entry to the apartment building, waiting for my first real adventure into the complexities of my newly chosen profession. Back on the East Coast, my former shipmates worked at repairing rigging, chipping paint, and unlimbering watercraft for the day’s activities.

I imagined, as I sat there, the familiar sounds of work overlayered with sonatas of the most erudite profanity on the planet. Another day in the service of one’s country. But as for me, farewell to foreign shores, I was ready to sail with break of day.

Was I the fortunate one? Time would tell.

A detail of the lobby of the Little Rock
Post Office lobby by America's photographer:
Carol M. Highsmith
Library of Congress Collection



No comments:

Post a Comment