Friday, July 27, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter 16 (Cont._2)

 It finally happened of course. As Robert Burns said once, “The best laid schemes o' mice an' men  Gang aft a-gley.” Mine did, for damn sure.

It happened this way.

For several months, I had been doing some car trading. I wound up with some money in the bank and a 1960 vintage Ford sedan in perfect condition. An elderly lady’s son sold it to me after she had gotten too old to drive it to the bank a couple of times a month. I had a buyer all ready for it in Pine Bluff, an elderly lady who just needed to drive to town a couple of times a month for groceries and to the doctor. Did I mention the car was in perfect condition?

It was, save for the need of a new universal joint and replacement of a headlight. My brother and a neighbor replaced the universal joint, and I was engaged in replacing the “headlight of destiny” when it happened, right there on the parking lot of our apartment building.

I had the hood up on the car and had just finished the job when movement to my right caught my eye. Two figures had left the building and were walking toward a car. One was Vernell, the sister of my next-door neighbor, Rita. I didn’t know the other one. They were dressed like young women of that time dressed who, as they would say, were “lookin’ for adventure, and whatever comes our way.”

As for me, it was a warm early spring Friday evening and I wore a “Join the Navy and Ride the Waves” T-shirt and a pair of dirty jeans. My hair had grown a couple of inches since I had parted ways with the military, and my hands were greasy. I stared.

When they saw me looking, they ceased walking and began to “sashay.” If you don’t know what that means, find a true Southern girl and let her show you. For now, just understand that it has a stupefying effect on men, especially Southern men with weak minds.

I nodded. Vernell nodded. The apparition with her looked at me for a second, then shook the long red hair that fell down her back. She didn’t speak, but the look she gave me spoke with such thunder that it drowned out the sounds of the traffic on Cantrell.

It said, “Just what the hell are you looking at?” She sashayed on by me.

I stood there like a man who had just had 15 flashbulbs go off in his face at one time.

She wasn’t tall, but she seemed to have the power and tension of spring steel wound inside her as she walked away. The long hair had framed an oval face, the kind that cameras love. The face was soft and ruddy, more Celtic than Mediterranean. She would have been the perfect choice for a “Visit Ireland” magazine ad. Shapely legs flapped the hems of a dark blue dress that was set off with a bow. It swayed with a music that only she was hearing. I was sure that her walk was a copyrighted achievement.

I dropped a heavy screwdriver on a toe sticking from a “flip-flop.” I didn’t feel it. Somehow, I managed to close the hood, gather my tools and walk back to the apartment.

Rita stood in the doorway of her apartment, fully dressed for a change, well, except for buttoning her blouse. We exchanged nods. “Not going out of a Friday night?” she said. "Even I have a date."

“Maybe later.” I started to my door, but stopped. “Could I ask you something?”

“Her name is Brenda Cole and she is from Lonoke, teaches school there.”

She had been watching all the time.

“Her daddy is a farmer, and she’s an only child, a real “Daddy’s Girl.” They say she can drive a tractor like a man, even has one of her own—a tractor that is.”

I nodded.

“On some days, she’s engaged to a basketball coach,” she said.

My face must have given me away. I never was a good poker player.

Then Rita smiled at me and winked. “But on other days, she’s not.” She gave what seemed like a little mocking laugh and closed her door.


With teachers like this, could I
have possibly done better?

No comments:

Post a Comment