Friday, July 13, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter Thirteen: (Cont._2)

As 1972 got underway, it was nothing but tall cotton for me. My salary was nearing, and would soon pass, that of my former classmates who had a four-year head start on me. There were rumors that Little Rock would see another high-rise office building in another year or so. Plans were proceeding to turn Main Street and a block of Fifth into a mall. We all still thought it was a good idea.

Well, nobody's perfect.

I was still attending planning commission meetings with both owners of the firm. We would prepare reports on the upcoming planning commission meeting and make recommendations. I was beginning to see the logic behind the process. Our primary goals, in increasing order of importance were

1. Present the facts
2. Analyze the facts
3. Consider alternative courses of action
4. Decide the best course for the health, safety, and welfare of the community
5. Make sure the best course wouldn't piss off anyone in the power structure
6. Make a recommendation

It was a process that would see me safely through the decades to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment