Monday, July 2, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter Ten (Cont._3)


Things were taking a hard turn for consulting firms by the time I went to work in 1971. As part of the grant era, a devastating event occurred. The state, through much grant funding, had established planning agencies, economic agencies, and metro-planning agencies throughout the state. These were to provide planning services for free or for reduced fees for cities and counties. They would receive preferential treatment for planning grants under what was known then simply as the “701 Program.”

The result? The day I went to work there were six planning consulting firms in the Little Rock/North Little Rock metro area. By the end of 1971, there would be two. Those two would have to strive mightily for planning work in the future.

As a result of this, the owners of our firm made two fateful decisions. The first was to bring a professional engineer into the firm as a full partner. The second was to pursue the original dream of pursuing land development.

It all sounded good on paper.

I wasn’t concerned. At worst, I was learning a trade. As the year progressed, I spent most of my time working on two of the last urban renewal projects scheduled for the state. One would be funded, the other only partially and only after a massive reduction in scope.

These were gigantic undertakings requiring a grant application nearly two inches of legal-sized paper thick. They handed me an old application that had been funded and told me to modify and replicate one like it for a firm in southwest Arkansas, a place called Hope.

I spent my days number crunching, studying census reports, and directing the mapping required. Nights, I went to planning commission meetings when one happened to be scheduled. Other nights I would read, or sometimes wander down to some house on Riverside Drive where there might be music.

Weekends might find me going home to Pine Bluff or driving up to Fayetteville to party with friends. I didn’t have a care in the world.

This all beat the hell out of the Navy, though I sometimes missed its structured life where the future was fairly easy to predict and thoroughly controlled by higher powers.

The new engineering partner took a little getting used to, and that’s all I want to say on that subject.

We still had plenty of work, despite the cut in potential created by the planning and development districts. Further, it was about this time that I started being involved in one of the most heartbreaking phenomena known in the design services industry.

This involved writing and presenting proposals for jobs, not grants, but jobs. Oh my.

In the old days, cities and other public agencies simply hired who they wanted to do such work as planning, engineering, or architecture. This, of course, suited the old-time firms well. By the time I came along, some of the younger firms had raised enough hell that the selection process became more formalized. It seemed like a good idea and it sought to even the playing field. Additionally, though, it seemed to bring out the worst in some people.

More about that tomorrow.

A lesson
to be learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment