Friday, February 28, 2020

Preparedness


sundown in zion
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

            It had been a long day and one that was turning to dark when Nelson and Charlie returned home. Charlie began to prepare supper and Nelson took the letter Elvis Barker had given him to the living room. Taking his Barlow knife from a pocket, he slit the envelope with deliberate care. He removed a light blue sheet, unfolded it, and found it filled with elegant and small handwriting. He read:
            Gideon:
            The news of your return spread through Armistead like a summer storm, so trust me when I say that I haven’t tracked you nor do I intend to. This will be my only correspondence, and I send it as one final attempt at an apology and, in the highest realm of blind hope, some reconciliation, no matter how slight.
            Please understand that my life changed as a result of knowing you and from contemplating the miracle you performed for our community. I hope you have heard that it has flourished since you left. I have as well, partly through good fortune and partly as a result of a self-improvement effort dedicated to you.
            You might be interested to know that I even initiated a reading program involving your favorite, Mr. Dickens. It has opened my eyes to many things. One of those is that I don’t know whether I love you or not but I do know that we share a common appreciation for beautiful things, and I think that if it were ever possible for me to love someone after the traumas through which I lived, that person might be you. Don’t worry. I share no hope that you feel anything similar toward me.
            Should, however, there ever develop any shred of affection, I seek no scene of our running in slow-motion through the fields towards one another. Nor, would I expect a promise to meet atop a skyscraper or have you standing under my window yelling my name. Just send the message, “Barkis is willing.” Your Peggotty will be waiting.
            Sincerely, from someone who would have loved to be your friend … and more.
            The signature said simply,      Morgan.
            Nelson folded the letter and placed it in the envelope. He laid it on the coffee table and walked into the kitchen where he took a glass from a cabinet. He filled it with ice from the refrigerator and then poured two fingers of Jack Daniels over the ice. Tasting it, he turned and walked to the front door and then out into the night. On the porch, he turned and sat in the swing there and stared quietly at the street scene. He began to swing gently and sipped his drink. Deep in thought, he nodded his head in synch with the swing. From Ninth Street came the sound of fire trucks leaving to answer a call. The door opened and Charlie walked out and stood beside him.
            “Good news I hope,” he said.
            Nelson shuddered and looked toward him. “Beg pardon?”
            “The letter,” Charlie said. “Don’t mean to pry but just wondered if it was good news or bad.”
            “Neither,” Nelson said. “Just a voice from the past setting up hopes for a future.”
            “Ah,” Charlie said. “It must be nice to have a future. That poor girl Abbey doesn’t have one, does she?”
            “Nope,” Nelson said.
            “I’m one to talk,” Charlie said.
            “About what?” Nelson said.
            “Futures,” Charlie said as he turned to go inside. Nelson followed him.
            “Wait,” Nelson said. “We’re going to work on yours. Be patient.”
            “Oh,” Charlie said, “I can be patient as long as your money holds out.”
            Nelson laughed and said, “Don’t worry about that, but we’re going to work on getting your own money coming in.”
            “And how will we do that?” Charlie said. Before Nelson could answer, Nelson’s cell phone rang. He held a finger up for Charlie and answered.
            “Hey Martin,” he said into the phone as he motioned for Charlie to go ahead with his meal. “Didn’t find out anything surprising. I’ll fill you in on it in detail next time we meet.” He stopped and listened. Then he nodded his head. “That sounds interesting. Don’t delete them.” Listening again, he walked his computer table and retrieved a notepad. “I’ll be happy to. How do I contact them?” He began to scribble on the paper. “That’s not far from here. You’re sure that they expect to hear from me.” He nodded again. “I’ll call them first thing in the morning.”
            After answering a few more questions, he rang off and put the phone away. He turned to Charlie. “Food still warm?”
            “Help yourself. It’s as good cold as it is hot. Important call?”
            “Martin,” Nelson said. “He remembered Abbey borrowed his phone a few weeks ago. She had misplaced hers and used his for a day. He was able to download the numbers she called.”
            “How?”
            Nelson shrugged. “You’re asking me? Anyway, he wants me to check them out and see if I notice anything he missed.”
            “The lad is becoming a real sleuth,” Charlie said. “He may have a career in detective work.”
            “I think science will pay more.”
            “What else did he have on his mind? Charlie said.
            “You already are a sleuth, aren’t you? I didn’t know artillerymen were so nosey.”
            “Never underestimate a ‘redleg.’ We stick with our coordinates, wreak havoc, and bring justice to a weary world. What else did Martin report?”
            “He wants me to meet Abbey’s parents,” Nelson said.
            Charlie leaned back and let out his breath. “That’s gonna ‘redline the old fun meter,’ now ain’t it.”
            “Couldn’t have put it more accurately myself,” Nelson said. “But you know what it means when you accept a mission.”
            “Oh, do I,” Charlie looked out into space before continuing his meal.
            Nelson fixed a plate and set it on the table. He turned to freshen his drink as Charlie said, “What did you mean about working on my money?” he said.
            “I have a plan,” Nelson said.
            “Mind sharing it with me?”
            “Not a bit,” Nelson said, but at that moment his phone rang again. “Wait one,” he said to Charlie. “Martin must have forgotten something.” He punched the phone, put it to his ear, and said, “Hello.”
            His face immediately reddened. “The inevitable?” he said. “Are you sure?” His look was stoney and his eyes hard. “You’ve got to be sure,” he said. Listening, he nodded and then smiled. “I’ll need to shower. Charlie and I have been on the road all …. What? Yes … I’ll hurry.” He listed a moment a nodded. “I’m on my way.”
            Charlie looked on in amazement but didn’t speak. Neither did Nelson for several seconds. Then he said, “Two questions.” When Charlie nodded, Nelson said, “First, will it hurt your feelings if I skip this fine meal for an important mission?”
            Charlie said, “Sure. What mission?”
            “Second, would you be okay here tonight by yourself?”
            Understanding settled on Charlie’s face. “You old sea dog,” he said. He smacked Nelson’s shoulder with his hand. “You goddam old bastard of a sea dog.”
            They both laughed as Nelson rose and headed for his bedroom.
            By the time Nelson reached his destination, the moon had risen and dominated the eastern sky. He pulled his pickup into a driveway beside the house, killed the engine and stepped out. Before continuing, he took a deep breath and stared at the ground before him. Exhaling, he shrugged once and walked to the front door. There he stopped, took another deep breath and nodded his head once. Then he knocked.
            Tina opened the door and stood before him in a kimono of rich dark shades of brown and orange, her hair cascading about her shoulders. She smiled and motioned him in. “I was afraid you would change your mind,” she said. She took his hand and led him across the room  to where they stood before a large glass sliding door. She held his hand and leaned against him. “Isn’t the moon gorgeous tonight? That’s what drove me to the inevitable. Have you ever seen it so full?”
But before Nelson could speak, she turned around and kissed him. Feeling his response, she wrapped her arms around him and pulled him tight against her. He didn’t resist.
            After a long, luxurious kiss, their faces parted and they looked at one another. Morgan spoke first, “Are you surprised?” She still held a hand behind his head.
            “I’m not, by training and practice, allowed to be surprised.”
            She smiled, and lowered her eyes. “Shocked?”
            “I am trained to do the shocking rather than be challenged by it.” He leaned forward and kissed her on forehead. She lingered in his arms form a moment and pressed her body to his. Raising her head she looked him straight in eyes and, locking her gazed, released him and retreated two steps.
            She stood in front of the door leading to her back yard now. The wide panel of glass allowed the light from a full moon to illuminate the right side of her body. Her skin glowed in the light and she smiled. Raising her hands from her side, she untied the belt of the kimono and allowed it to fall open. Before Nelson could respond she unloosed the soft cloth from her shoulders and allowed the garment to fall to the floor. It settled round her feet with a faint sound like a sigh in the night.
            She stood nude before Nelson now. Her full breasts shown before the full moon, its light forming a glowing outline from the almost invisible hairs that covered her body. Her olive skin needed no tan. It was smooth and inviting in the moonlight. The pleasing smell of a subtle cologne mingled with the moonlight. As Nelson looked at her, the nipples of her breast hardened as her breath quickened and her body arched slightly toward him. Her lips parted.
            She closed her eyes. “Pleased?”
            “I am allowed to be pleased, and yes, I am.”
            She opened her eyes. “Then Sailor,” she said as she stepped forward and began to unbutton his shirt, “let’s see if we can hoist that battle flag.”



No comments:

Post a Comment