Sunday, February 9, 2020

The New

Was thinking about The Sermon on the Mount yesterday in light of some modern practices. It seems we don’t have moral guidance from many modern pulpits as much as we have mantras and platitudes.

The same could be said for political parties that would mix religion and politics.

It dawned on me. If one wanted to prepare a modern “sound bite” for The Sermon, what might it include? It might call for followers of the Galilean to quit chanting platitudes and act, … act differently that is.

Act differently. Maybe that’s the message the Galilean was trying to get across. “Here, I’ve given you examples of people who deserve love. I’ve given you some pretty tough standards to live by while you go about life. I’ve showed you to pray, not for money but for righteousness. I've shown you how to be true disciples. I’ve shown you a whole new world. Now go and seek me in a better manner, one of love and self discipline.

No wonder we don’t hear much about The Sermon in so many modern pulpits.

No comments:

Post a Comment