Sunday, March 4, 2018

Morning Thoughts: March 4, 2018


It is a sad thing when a relationship with a dear friend becomes endangered. I’ve had that happen recently. It’s sad. We’ve been pals for a long time.

We have been through some similar trials in our life. We’ve had some similar successes. We’ve always enjoyed one another’s company and shared memories and ideas unceasingly.

We either agreed on political views or didn’t discuss them.

We’ve taken trips together, all of which have been a blessing to me, and I think to him.

He was born “up-north” and I was born “down-south” but we’ve never let that affect our relationship.

If either of us ever needed help, the other was there, no questions asked.

How could the foundations of such a friendship begin to weaken? You might ask that, and it would be a fair question.

It was like this.

I made the mistake of mentioning to him, on our last face-to-face visit, that I had been guilty of “wasting some time,” recently. It shouldn’t have mattered, for we are both in the retirement stage of our lives, and any work we do is for enjoyment, professional pleasure, or marital harmony.

“Oh,” he said, and I thought I felt the earth tremble beneath me. “I’ve discovered a new way to waste time.” With that, he jabbed his keyboard. Instantly, the screen filled with a partially completed jigsaw puzzle. “Check this out,” he said.

I did. It was an interesting, uh, what do they call it these days, … app? He moved the pieces around with his mouse and there was an audible “click” when matching ones met.

“Cute,” I said to myself.

“Addictive,” he said aloud as he moved a “border” piece into position and smiled at the soothing sounds the pleasant pairing made.

I left thinking what a strange pastime for one of the broadest, deepest, and most insightful minds I have ever known. On a number of occasions over the next two weeks, I recalled how a bizarre seduction had trapped such a beautiful mind.

Then, yesterday I was temporarily constrained from applying myself to useful endeavors, so I decided to see if I could locate the “puzzle-app” as I call it. I simply wanted to see what evil demon had possessed such a dear companion.

My question now is, can you still call a person “friend” who has led you onto a path of seduction so fierce that it alienates you from even your beloved spouse?

Think on it and send me your opinion. In the meantime, there is this “Venetian Scene” which I must finish. Oh, and did you ever happen to see the Big Bang episode where Penny started playing video games?

But, as the Carol Lynley character
in Blue Denim said, "they don't
tell you how to stop it."


No comments:

Post a Comment