Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Sailing To Oblivion: July 11, 2017

It’s gotten me out of many a jam: “You knew I was sorry when you married me.”

What can she say? It’s true. It’s disarming. She’s nothing left to do but follow the advice of the Galilean to, as I’ve quoted before, “agree with thine adversary quickly.”

It works when you lie.

It works when you deceive.

It works when you are cruel to the less fortunate. Probably, it would even work on more cosmic transgressions.

I’ll bet it would work if one got caught doing damage the foundations of society as we know it.

I’ll bet it would work if one did harm to the least of those of those among us.

I’ll bet it would work if one colluded with a sworn enemy to damage our country.

I'll bet it would work if one bore false witness against one's political opponent.

I’ll bet it would work if one enriched one’s self or one’s family at the expense of our citizens.

I’ll bet it would work if one promised relief to the poor and enriched one’s friends instead.

I’ll bet it would work if one set out to destroy our planet in order to increase corporate profits.

Maybe not. There may be a difference between “You knew I was sorry when you married me,” and “You knew I was sorry when you elected me.”

On the other hand, it just might work, as John Agar used to say when he finally figured out how to destroy the monster spider or whatever. After all, when the damage is spread out over multitudes, we tend to become inured to the dangers that lurk beneath it. Some even vow to love the monster more. As Charlie Chaplin said through the character of Monsieur Verdoux, “Numbers sanctify.”


Just some random thoughts on July 11, 2017.

Just thinking …

No comments:

Post a Comment