Sunday, July 16, 2017

Sailing To Oblivium: July 16, 2017

There’s a passage in Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony which goes from dark brooding to sublime sunshine in only a few measures. It took longer and worked just the opposite for me last evening.

The sublime? This one is easy. It was enjoying dinner with one of my favorite couples, Brenda and Troy Galloway down from Bentonville, Arkansas. Yes, that’s where Walmart makes its headquarters, and Troy is Community Development director there. He is also a Brigadier General in the Army National Guard. Brenda serves as the official version of a truly gracious All-American. One of their daughters just graduated from West Point and the other will soon enter her second year at the United States Merchant Marine Academy.

The very model of a modern flawless family? “Pert near,” as we say in South Arkansas. I’ve always been lucky with friends.

As I say, it was a most pleasant evening marred only by the fact that my Brenda couldn’t join us because of caretaking duties. She gets her turn soon when she flies to Texas for a Don Henley concert while I assume the homecare role.

The dismal? Imagine my disappointment when, after such delightful evening, I awoke after midnight experiencing the now-familiar pain and nausea that accompany the passage of a kidney stone.

Yikes!


Four hours later, the pain left as suddenly as it had come. I now have a souvenir to remind me that things can, and do, shift back and forth between the sublime and the dismal, sometimes quite rapidly. The trick is to accept both and just hang the hell on.

And dance whenever,
and wherever, you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment