Thursday, July 27, 2017

Sailing to Oblivium: July 27, 2017

Life takes funny turns. It found me, in May of 1966 living at 1016 Masonic Street in San Francisco, a block from Haight and two from Ashbury. Don’t get me wrong. I didn’t go there. I landed there, fleeing an Arkansas governed by Orval Faubus, and hoping to catch sight, by some miracle, of what at the time I thought was a great love of my life. It was a girl who had left me standing alone on Fayetteville’s Leveritt Street, and married a SF native.

Hope springs eternal, as they say, in a young heart. I had nothing else to do, and the apartment on Masonic just happened to be available. I had no idea at the time who the hippies were, but I would soon learn.

A miracle did happen. Armed with my college degree and a draft card stating I was “1A,” (better known to my fellow Americans as “canon-fodder”), I managed to land a job with a company in the Mission District. I rode the Haight-Sunset bus to and fro each day and lived a happy life until the Draft Board found me.

Gosh, what things I saw. Masonic dead-ended at the panhandle of Golden Gate Park, across the street from where Ken Kesey and his Band of Merry Pranksters parked that summer and danced the days and nights away for a spell.

There was the local who went out on his balcony overlooking Haight each morning and played “Reveille” on a beat-up trumpet.”

Sometimes, the “Grateful Dead” would hang out on a porch stoop.

It was fun to see the kids begging money, attired in clothing that cost $200 or more.

I thought about this the other night when the family and I watched a documentary on PBS about the Haight-Ashbury. It concentrated on 1967, the so-called “Summer of Love.”

For my memories of 1966, the show left out some things. One was the sight of a Bank of California branch a half block west of Ashbury on the south side of Haight. From opening to closing, a line branch from its door all the way around the block. They were cashing those checks from home so they could keep sneering at me for having a job.

Still, it was exhilarating, and I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. There was something childlike and fascinating about the experiment.

Then one morning I found myself at the Southeast corner of Haight and Masonic waiting for a bus, not to take me to work but to the Oakland Induction Center. I remember waiting there with an elderly Chinese man and watching the fog gallop down Haight toward us. (No “little cat feet” crap in “The City”). It thundered that morning, and it doesn’t thunder in San Francisco as a rule.

I’ve thought about that many times. In his book, A Generation of Sociopaths. How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America, Bruce Cannon Gibney says my generation supported the Vietnam War but didn’t support serving in the military. I guess I represented the opposite view. I despised the war, but served when my country asked. And it has never forgiven me. Such is love.

By the summer of ’67, I was stationed in Monterey, California and rode the bus up numerous times to The City to visit friends.

Things had changed. Every bus disgorged a group of wild-eyed newcomers. Some, it seemed, were still in their early teens. The streets were filthy. Stores had changed. The fun was forced. The very air seemed to tell the cleansing fog to “begone.” The “Haight-Ashbury,” as it had existed, was doomed.

I guess social experiments turn out that way. There exits excitement, adventure, and a sense of majesty in the beginning. This draws the infectious and the despoilers. Then, the experiment that had existed is doomed, toppled by the gravity of its own success. I only hope we aren’t seeing that in our country today.

Just trying to fit in—a lifetime habit.


No comments:

Post a Comment