Saturday, August 19, 2017

Growing Up Southern: August 19, 2017

Two women in my life represent the main reasons I hate to see powerful forces setting about to destroy our public school systems.

One was named Mildred Trulock. She taught me English and other wonderful things in the 7th grade. She died early from cancer at age 59.

The other was named Doris Morgan. She taught me English in the 11th grade and journalism in the 12th. She lived into old age before succumbing to Alzheimer’s.

Both put up with my foolishness. Somewhere along the line they instilled in me a need to read and learn. I’m sure they found me far from a good student, but they minimized my nonsense, often using a word that I have rarely, if ever, heard anyone other than a teacher use: “provoke,” as in, “don’t provoke me further.”

And I’m sure I did. For some reason, Mrs. Trulock ignored it and turned me toward reading Charles Dickens. When she caught me reading someone else, say Hemingway, she would observe, “Well there are some elements of his writing that you’re not emotionally prepared for yet, but I suppose it’s okay.”

Mrs. Morgan set a high standard, expecting my fellow students and me to read and discuss such classics as Moby Dick and Heart of Darkness. Later, she taught me not to use sarcasm in serious reporting. She singlehandedly got Overton Anderson and me into the National Honor Society. I can imagine that, at least on my part, that, took some high-level filibustering.

I never told Mrs. Trulock how much she mattered in my life, but I expect she knew. I’m proud to say that, before Mrs. Morgan took sick, I began writing short stories. Sometime in the early 1990s, I packed up several and mailed them to her with a note saying her efforts hadn’t gone completely in vain.

Gosh almighty! A week later, she tracked me down by phone and complimented the daylights out of me. That meant more to me than a Pulitzer might have. Well, almost.

She had even passed the stories around to the other women in the retirement home with all the pride of a mother whose son had just made the honor role for the first time.

Of all things, she laughed and said, “I had to explain to some of them what a ‘stump-broke cow’ is.” See, she grew up on a ranch in Montana and was quite the cowgirl when she was young. She knew things some of her peers didn’t, probably some things I’ve never known.

I say this all in support of public school teachers. I have friends and acquaintances who received superb educations at private or religious schools, but I only have the experience of public ones. I think they, and their teachers, are national treasures. I only wish that the billionaires trying to privatize them would redirect their vast fortunes toward bolstering our existing schools instead.

I know those were different times during which these wonderful women touched my lives. School populations were more homogenous. Life was slower. A good part of education was devoted to building character as opposed to certifying kids for jobs or post-secondary endeavors. Children didn’t have to make the terrible choices they must make today, including whether to join a gang or try drugs. I’ll be the first to admit, though, that sneaking away down to the ravine to smoke a Camel was a perennial temptation.

We took tests in those days to see if we were learning anything, not to determine our future roles in life. A Mildred Trulock or Doris Morgan would have time to apply a little molding to young minds. Life was calmer. Students provoked their teachers back in the day. They didn’t beat or stab them.

Were times that much better? I don’t know. Old-age gilds and glitterizes the past. Times certainly weren’t better for my African-American brothers and sisters. They weren’t allowed to attend school with us.

All I know is that attending a public school did me no personal harm. Hell, that’s where I met Penny Perdue, who, I’m proud to say, still calls me her friend. As the ladies Trulock and Morgan would want me to say, “Be still my beating heart.”

Just remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment