Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Sailing To Oblivium: August 16, 2017

It’s one of those days when a person ought to try to get his mind off current events. Unhinged minds are swarming about like hornets. Their buzzing dominates the news and clogs the very air we breathe. It’s like trying to respire nuggets of pure filth.

It brings me once again to the lines of Matthew Arnold:

“I, on men's impious uproar hurl'd,
Think often, as I hear them rave,
That peace has left the upper world
And now keeps only in the grave.

Gosh I hope not. Arnold found peace and hope in Kensington Gardens. I’ve turned to watching and listening to Yeol Eum perform Mozart’sPiano Symphony Number 21. It gives me a few minutes peace. Moreover, it gives me hope.

If there are young people like Yeol Eum amongst us, and there is beautiful music waiting to be played and heard, can it drown out the insanity about us? Gosh, I hope so.

What was so startling about the last few days is the number of people whom I had considered normal, rational friends who have aligned themselves with, well, the scum of the earth: the KKK, the Aryan National, American Nazis, and assorted hatemongers. Where it will all end I don’t know. Those groups are quite adroit at passing their anger and hatred to others, and they now have a new friend who just happens to be the most powerful man on the face of the earth.

It’s more than a little unsettling.

What we are seeing may be what happens when people quit reading poetry and listening to Mozart. Perhaps we should all go to a public place of quiet reflection as Arnold did and seek hope as he expressed it:

Calm soul of all things! make it mine
To feel, amid the city's jar,
That there abides a peace of thine,
Man did not make, and cannot mar.

Meanwhile, send a bigot a link to Mozart.

It can’t hurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment