Saturday, May 11, 2019

Flashback Saturday ...

Going through old notes on a Flashback Saturday.

There’s an old South Arkansas Proverb, at least my notes say it is. I may have just made it up: “A mallard will land in a baited hole, and ducks are way yonder smarter than people.” For some reason it came to mind this morning while I watched it rain out the window and wondered what’s going to happen. It’s a “free-thought” sort of day, so here goes.

This just floated to the top of my cesspool of a mind. Don’t know why. But in his will, George Washington Parke Custis stipulated that all the Arlington slaves belonging to his daughter should be freed upon his death if the estate was found to be in good financial standing or within five years otherwise. When Custis died in 1857, Robert E. Lee—the executor of the estate—determined that the slave labor was necessary to improve Arlington's financial status. The Arlington slaves found Lee to be a more stringent taskmaster than his predecessor. Eleven slaves were “hired out” while others were sent to the Pamunkey River estates. In accordance with Custis's instructions, Lee officially freed the slaves on December 29, 1862. It seems Lee was never quite able to understand why the slaves weren’t eager to “just do their duty.” Hmmm.

I get tickled over this “medical marijuana” thing. I heard on a news report last eve the list of maladies one could cite for “medical” access. Right there with them all was this thing called “PTSD.” I just shook my head. See, that is a self-diagnosed malady. No, really. A nationally recognized physician-author told me once that I could drive by a building on fire and claim cause. So we have, for all intents and purposes, legalized “herbin’ renewal” as the young folks used to call it in United States Navy of old. Oh well. Es macht nichts to me.

Wait. Must press “enter.” Oh dear. I don’t remember this from some dream or other:

Last night I dreamed I was drinking wine with Matthew, Mark, and Luke at a little pub called “The Chi of Galilee.” Matt and Luke were ribbing Mark about finding this neat search engine called “Quizzer.”
Matt: Too bad you didn’t know about it before you published your stuff.
Luke: We tried to get you to wait for us, but … noooo!
Mark: (Sullenly) I did okay.
Luke: (Mockingly) “I did okay.” (Sips his wine)
Mark: Just because I wouldn’t tell you where the white colt came from.
Matt: Want to know the real funny thing?
Mark: What?
Matt: I was talking to Himself, and want to hear something really interesting?
Luke: Blessed are the rumormongers.
Matt: As soon as we are all finished, He is taking back the computers.
Mark: Get out of Capernaum. Non vadis.
Matt: Vadis. I heard it with mine own ears.
Luke: Taking away our computers?
Matt: Yep. Says they ain’t coming back for 2,000 years or so.
Mark: Bummer.
Mark: Don’t tell John about this Quizzer site.
Luke: No way. He thinks he is such a favorite. Let him figure it all out by himself.
Matt: Suits me. By the way …
Luke: Yes?
Matt: Speaking or His favorites. Did you read the neat stuff about Mimi?

That’s when I woke up. And you know … I’m sorry I did.

Got to go now. I’m starving all of a sudden. Oh, see a friend. Later.



No comments:

Post a Comment