Thursday, July 4, 2024

EPIPHANY OF THE DAY

 THE FOURTH

Today is the Fourth of July and it creates competing feelings. First is respect and reverence for an experiment that began as a glorious way of government for a few, one that we have grudgingly expanded to include the rest of its citizens.

Until now.

Next, a sort of selfish feeling of gratitude that I was one of the Americans fully able to appreciate the largess of its democracy.

Then, a sort of begrudging sense of pride that I sacrificed four years of my life in thanks for the opportunities that America provided me.

Also, a feeling of loss as I ponder what the next four years will bring.

And finally, a bewildering sense of wonder as to whether I would have given those four years had I known that so many Americans would someday worship at the table of a cult led by the likes of Donald Trump.




No comments:

Post a Comment