Tuesday, September 4, 2018

My Redacted LIfe: Chapter 25 (Cont._2)

Work went well that week. I worked on the Hope urban renewal project until Thursday, then something marvelous happened.

Tom Hodges called me in an offered an odd but exhilarating assignment. His banker friend and another man were interested in a piece of property way out to the west of Little Rock, beyond any existing development. The property had some interesting topography including high elevations. They wanted to know if the views from its would justify developing it as prime residential property, and they needed to know soon.

He knew I had an interest in photography and wanted to know if I’d like to take off Friday, go out west, and take some photographs from the property.

Oh, wouldn’t I though? I called Brenda from a pay phone during the lunch break.

“Want to take a walk tomorrow and do some exploring?”

Silence.

“I need to go photograph a piece of property.”

“Where?”

“Out west in the middle of nowhere. Almost to Pinnacle Mountain.”

“Maybe.”

“I’ll buy your lunch and all you have to do is carry my camera bag.”

“Okay.”

My orders were to explore the highest parts of the property and see if there were any spectacular views of the river and it's valley that would justify expensive homes. Tom gave me directions and instructions. I was all set.

That evening, we went out to a club called “The Quarter Note.” We met Jack Castin and his wife Debra there and had a good time getting acquainted. His wife was British, so that gave the affair a cosmopolitan feeling. We didn’t get home until late.

I was up early, wondering when I might call her and get the show going. Around nine in the morning, she called me. “We going or not?” she asked.

“Let’s go,” I said.

We started out. First, though, we picked up coffee at our beloved Burger Chef. I had my faithful Pentax Spotmatic camera, along with lenses and film, in a brown camera bag. The Green Angel climbed Cantrell Hill and we headed west. Soon, we passed the entrance to Walton Heights, a subdivision overlooking the Arkansas River. We had driven along its main street before, stopping at the western terminus where, as yet, undeveloped lots offered a magnificent view of the river and Pinnacle Mountain. It was one of Brenda’s favorite spots.

Today, though, we sped westward.

Cantrell became Highway 10 and we continued. We passed a small African-American settlement called “Pankey” and development ended except for scattered rural homes. We eventually turned off to the north and followed directions to the property. That’s when I found out that it was just a hill covered with rock and hardwoods in equal proportions. It wasn’t as high as Pinnacle, but it looked like Everest to me. A barely discernible trail led up its western side.

After putting film in the camera, I handed her the bag full of extra lenses, and we started up the hill. Within minutes, I began to pant, and she began to laugh. My fat butt was dragging by the time we reached the top. Once there, I discovered the thick vegetation prevented any view of the surrounding world. You couldn’t see jack-diddly squat.

I decided to climb a tree. She laughed some more. I still couldn’t see anything to photograph. What a fine day this was turning out to be. My girlfriend found out I was physically unfit, and I was failing an assignment from my boss. As I thought of this, a limb snapped and I slid a foot down the tree, grinding bark into my clothes. I looked and saw that she had turned away. She was pretending that she hadn’t seen me, but shaking shoulders gave her away.

There was nothing to do but climb down and brush myself off as best I could. Sweating now, I snapped a few shots to let Tom know I had tried. Took one of her while she was still laughing, and we started down the hill.

“Maybe I need some exercise,” I said.

“We could try tennis,” she said. 

The cutest helper
in the whole world.


No comments:

Post a Comment