Wednesday, September 5, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter 25 (Cont._3)

Since it had to be pretty obvious to my new girlfriend that I wasn’t in the best physical shape, she suggested we might try tennis. Heck, why not? She knew I had bought a cheap racket in a fit of enthusiasm. She had taken a PE course in college and she brought her old racket to Little Rock in case she and Vernell wanted to take to the courts.

Both rackets were gathering dust in their respective closets. I had bought a can of tennis balls and stashed them somewhere. I even had some white shorts and appropriate shoes. She did as well.

Well hell, let’s go grab a bite and then give it a try. What in the world could possibly go wrong with this picture? I was halfway to Wimbledon just in the thinking of it.

We stopped in at a place that served salads and had a light lunch. I was going to start this rehabilitation program out right. Wait until our clients got a look at the new me. She just sort of stared at me with a faint smile on her face.

After the meal, we rested a bit to, as my Sainted Mother would say, “let our dinner settle.” Around mid-afternoon, we made it to a park just past Mississippi Street and exited the Green Angel. One court was free, and one was occupied by two familiar faces.

Oh no. It was Jason Rouby and a man named Armand … DeLauriel, or something like that. They both knew my boss and here I was goofing off with some hot little babe on a workday afternoon. Jason was the head of Metroplan, the regional planning agency. He was the boss, so he could take off whenever he pleased. Armand was, I think, Deputy Director of the state office of planning. He could take off of a Friday afternoon too, if he wanted, for I’m sure he had little to do. The State of Arkansas cared about planning as much as it cared about labor unions.

Nothing to do but introduce them to Brenda. At least they would be impressed with her. I did, and we moved to the empty court. They resumed play. Both approached middle-age. Neither appeared very athletic. Actually, we soon discovered that they were pretty good.

We weren’t. I opened the can of tennis balls. It made a soft sound as I released the vacuum. I took one, laid the can aside, and tried to bounce the ball on the ground. It got away from me and I had to chase it down.

She lined up on the opposite side of the net, and I tried to knock the ball over to her. It hit the net and I had to chase it down. I wouldn’t look across at the other court, but I could hear the thump of the ball being sent and retuned.

I tried again. The ball sailed off to the right before it got to the net. She gave me a look that said, “You hit it. You run it down.”

Eventually, I managed to hit one over the net. It surprised her so much that she let it sail right by and she had to chase it down.

She knocked a couple into the net. I was beginning to realize that we might well have been the two most unathletic people in the state, another trait we shared. It was embarrassing. Then she sailed one over the net, and it got worse.

I tried to pivot toward where I thought the ball might be. My ankle gave way and a sharp pain shot through it. I ended up flat on the court. What else could go wrong?

Jason and Armand helped get me to the car. Brenda gathered our stuff, put it in the trunk, and drove us back to the apartment. She had no trouble with the five-speed. During her life on the farm, she had learned to drive every form of motorized equipment possible. In fact, she handled it better than I, as anyone watching would have concluded.

Back at my apartment, she helped me hobble to a couch and removed my shoes. There was no need to call for a doctor. Her mother worked for the country doctor in Lonoke, and Brenda had filled in to help on occasion. Additionally, they had shared many a conversation around the supper table. What could a physician possibly know that she didn’t? Invalids were invalids, that’s all.

“The best thing for a sprained ankle is to walk on it. I’ve heard Doctor Holmes say that.”

“Embellishing my response with words and idioms from my Navy life, I explained that I wasn’t going to do that, not yet anyway.

She had no recourse other that to use massage, 'poor Baby," and gentle kisses as treatment.

Hey, this invalid stuff wasn’t so bad after all.

Wasn't gonna be any sports
endorsements for me.
     



No comments:

Post a Comment